VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in the process of transferring a bunch of old VHS tapes to DVD.

How do I eliminate a "buzzing" noise from the audio?

I'm using Sound Forge 5.0 and Video Vegas 5.

I tried using the High Gate in Sound Forge, but while it eliminated the buzzing noise, it also chopped up the rest of the audio pretty badly.

I have a 1-2 second area where I only have the buzzing noise, so theoritically, I should be able to sample that, and subtract the noise from the rest of the audio.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Tchail
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Audacity most of the time and it has a 'sample' function to try to isolate the sound, then uses that for filtering. Mixed results at times, but I have managed to lower the level of 60Hz hum. If your interference is more like static or white noise that contains wide spectrum noise, it's harder to filter. I haven't used Sound Forge, but other audio editors may have a similar feature. And take a look at some of soopafresh's posts in the Audio Forum. He seems fairly knowledgeable with audio and filtering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your kind words, redwudz The source of hums and buzz can be due to 60hz ground loops (50hz in Europe). You might be able to use a graphic EQ and cut frequencies at 60hz, 120hs, 180hz, 240hz, 300hz, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for what it's worth - I've been using payware Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for a couple of years, and find it to be well worth the $30. Doesn't always give 100% improvement, but a very worthy software.

You could try a demo from Magix.
    Demo won't let you save or burn tracks, but you can get a good idea if it's what you need.
    Beware, the interface is *way* too cute with the "stereo rack" metaphor, tiny text, and a bit hard to use. But the de-noising is pretty good, with a bunch of presets, or you can take noise-print samples of your own for it to apply to your track.
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sony's noise reduction plugin is worth it's weight in gold. Also Waves brand plugins havea 10 band parametric eq with a preset that does a fantastic job. They have free demos as well.
    drink up....the world's about to end
    Quote Quote