VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone can help me, I would surely appreciate it!
    Problem: I used my Casio Exilm to record a 40 minute video at a recent reunion. I used a Transcend 8 gig sd card to record in the camera.
    While still at the reunion, I VIEWED the video on the camera and it was fine. It played and the audio was there as well.
    When back home, I took the SD card out of the camera and put it in my card reader and transfered the files to my pc.
    The pc does not recoginize the file and will not play it with any of the many players and codecs I have tried.
    Other videos on that card will play just fine.
    When I put the card back in the camera, it now gives me the message that it (The camera) cannot play the file.
    I have tried several avi joiners, fixers, etc and they all tell me that this is not an avi file.

I am desperate to get this file back. This video was taken at a reunion of the 487th bomb group of the 8th Air Force. There is no way to go back and re-do the video....Once in a lifetime type of thing.

Any help will be greatly, greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try with VLC.....should play it...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried vlc media player also?

What does a video identifier say about the avi file, like gspot or mediainfo?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Tried vlc media player also?

What does a video identifier say about the avi file, like gspot or mediainfo?
    VLC does not play it.
    gspot says:
    1.38 GB (1,417 MB / 1,451,376 KB
    File Type: Unknown
    Mime Type: Unknown
    It gives me one proposed solution under MS A/V and when I click on that it gives me the Direct Show error code:
    0x80040265: (UNKNOWN)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try opening it with VirtualDub Mod. And see if Gspot 2.70 will tell you anything about it. If it's corrupted, it depends on how badly. Usually if VLC or VDM can't open it, it may be really messed up.

I've never had much luck with those 'repair' programs. Some of them just rewrite the index but don't do anything with corrupted frames. To open it in VDM, Use the 'File' menu then select the video and check the box at the bottom, 'Ask for extended options after this dialog'. That will give you a few more options, like re-indexing or others, depending on the video type. You can also 'Scan the video stream for errors' once you load it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe is the header in the avi corrupt, try join a working avi from the camera and join with the bad one. Use the copy command under the Command prompt like copy /b videoworking.avi + videobad.avi viedeonew.avi . PLay it and see if it can't read beyond the working video.

Be sure that you don't copy over the old file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    for what its related - I had many corrupted files on SD cards with Panasonic LX-1. They played on camera, became corrupted when I removed card and tried to play on PC or inserted card back. I found out on some board info that the camera's software don't like it done this way, and if I used always the 'transfer to PC' process (hook it up to PC and let camera's software 'know' the file is moved) everything was fine. Perhaps its similar problem in your case?
    Sorry I can't recall more details since I got rid of that camera long time ago, but I guess google can help you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Install ffdshow and the Haali media splitter,then open with Gspot...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the command prompt copy advice .... the new avi file was only 580 mb in size and wouldn't play at all.
    I installed the Haali media splitter and the FFdshow and ran gspot again.
    I get the same error message as before.

This may be beyond me....does anyone know of a "Recovery Service" that is reliable and reasonable?

Many thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds corrupt like Dere's encounter.
    I'd suggest exhausting all ideas here and even Casio if they have a forum first before delving into the underworld of file recovery. It's a racket...trust me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you modify the video file at all, make a backup copy

Run this on the file to see if it gives you any details on the data: (Command prompt needed)

Syntax: Avimaster YourfileName.avi

avimaster.zip
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ran avimaster:

e:\cimg0001.avi
    Probe
    "y.mqE....B.e"
    ***Error: Unexpected Token!
    This file is not recognized.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run it on a good file. It would be interesting to see info like the following:

Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't buy any recovery software, please don't feed scumbags with any penny!
    I collected 6 different programs for file recoveries (I bought one too, rest from from my friends who got stiffed that way too). NONE OF THEM WAS ANY HELP. I had "missing file on SD card in my PocketPC too, the file was there because both pocketpc's and computer's card readers show the card's size smaller than it was - by exactly the size of 'missing' file - yet both showed card as completely empty lol; none of the recovery software could see/find/help it either, and one of them even fucked up my card further to the point that i couldnt even reformat it anymore!
    Its a racket as zombie said already, believe us!
    If none of the solutions posted here works for you, most likely no file recovery soft will help you either, I'm afraid
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this free app for file recovery - it is read only, so it won't damage your files on the SD.. Run Photorec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is avimaster's log on another avi taken on the same camera at the same time:

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am running photorec right now
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wilddove
    I am running photorec right now
    ...and?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member