VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    EDIT: 16-04-2008

AVANTI - FFmpeg/Avisynth GUI has moved...

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic343287.html#1793545

Please do not continue to post questions and/or comments at this thread.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I had a look at your application, pretty cool stuff, nice work! I have been using ffmpeg and AviSynth for quite a while now also, I am curious as to why there are no options for x264 or XviD in an .mp4 container? All the current ffmpeg builds natively support x264. I think adding x264 and Flash support would open up this application to a much larger audience, that's just an opinion so take it as you will. Thanks for sharing your work!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by GMaq
    Hello,
    I had a look at your application, pretty cool stuff, nice work! I have been using ffmpeg and AviSynth for quite a while now also, I am curious as to why there are no options for x264 or XviD in an .mp4 container? All the current ffmpeg builds natively support x264. I think adding x264 and Flash support would open up this application to a much larger audience, that's just an opinion so take it as you will. Thanks for sharing your work!
    You can add (any) codec easily yourself by overwriting the video codec field and then press enter. After that you'll probably be asked to add your so called "codec label" to the database. Read the chm help about the codecs database (Appendix first item).
    I can also add it to the default options in the next version. I will make a note of it. This is just the first release.
    You can also override any basic setting on the video command line, so if you put -vcodec h64 or libx64 there, the basic setting is ignored.

XviD is there as XviD (for older FFmpeg versions) and XviD (Lib) for newer. Some of the codec names are changed in the latest FFmpeg builds. There's also a XviD FourCC option.
    XviD in mp4 is already there: set video codec to XviD or XviD (Lib) and the codec suffix field to PS. Then You see that the mp4 extension is automatically added.

Thanks for your reply,
    Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    With every version of ffmpeg I throw at it I get the "This FFmpeg version doesn't support Avisynth (AVS options disabled)" message. I am most certain that the builds I'm using support AviSynth. I've even used the same version that you mentioned in your original post (SVN-r9767) only to get the same message.

I'm confused.

Overall, this looks verrry promising!!! Thank you for all the work put into this!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kevo777
    Hello,
    With every version of ffmpeg I throw at it I get the "This FFmpeg version doesn't support Avisynth (AVS options disabled)" message. I am most certain that the builds I'm using support AviSynth. I've even used the same version that you mentioned in your original post (SVN-r9767) only to get the same message.

I'm confused.
    Me too! But we will see the light once.
    Do you have Avisynth 2.57 or higher installed. It doesn't work with older versions although it should give a other warning then.
    Give me some time to check.

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's affirmative. AviSynth 2.57 is in use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    That's affirmative. AviSynth 2.57 is in use.
    I unpacked the original zip and copied the contents to a test directory then copied a unrenamed fffmpeg.exe version SVN-r9767 to it and it works fine.

Do you run it in Vista? I've not been able to test it in Vista sofar and the system requirements in the help say W98, W2K and WXP.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i get the same.

xp,
    avisynth 2.58
    tried both ffmpeg builds mentioned.

also clicking on avisynth option returns this in the log box:
    "No valid FFmpeg/Avisynth combi found. This option is disabled."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious, but are you guys putting ffmpeg.exe in the ffmpeg sub-folder of avanti-017 main folder...cus per instructed (btw thanks Chris K) it works for me now....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 45tripp
    i get the same.

xp,
    avisynth 2.58
    tried both ffmpeg builds mentioned.

also clicking on avisynth option returns this in the log box:
    "No valid FFmpeg/Avisynth combi found. This option is disabled."
    In the directory where you copied the zip contents a avsystem directory exists. This has two small AVS scripts in it named version.avs and version2.avs
    version.avs checks if the installed Avisynth version is equal or higher then 2.57 and version2.avs can be read by any Avisynth version. Please trow both versions on WMP to see if they give a error. They have to both show a black clip playing for about 2 minutes. The problem is that Avisynth doesn't store its version in detail somewhere in the registry so I had to use weird tricks to find out. I surely have to find a better way to check for Avisynth.

There is also a "weird" trick to fool the program by removing the line "AssumeFPS("ntsc_film")" from the version.avs script. Afaik the program then will start with Avisynth support.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    scripts work fine.

removing assumefps() does nothing
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 45tripp
    scripts work fine.

removing assumefps() does nothing
    Strange that it works fine for some and fails for others?
    Problem is that I can't replicate the problem because on both my machines (W2K and WXP) it works fine.
    But I keep on torturing my brains to find out what goes wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running XP. Both scripts play fine.

Would it be easier to post a link to the magic version of ffmpeg? I'm at a loss here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Is there someone with the Avisynth startup problem capable to inverstigate the registry.

at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software" there must be a Avisynth key.
    This is the dump from my machine:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Avisynth]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5"
    "plugindir2_5"="C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5\\plugins"

If this key isn't there then this causes the problem. It probably has to do with machines with different users. If you startup on a particular username and then install software (Avisynth in this case) these keys are written in HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. My machine always boots up on the Administrator.

Do not change anything at the registry if you are not experienced.

If I know for sure I can upload a new "Avanti-GUI.exe" which doesn't check for that key.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two user profiles but I always log into the same one which has admin rights.

That registry key, on my machine, is located at HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE and not under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Does this help?

@Soopafresh,
    Thanks for the link!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I have two user profiles but I always log into the same one which has admin rights.

That registry key, on my machine, is located at HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE and not under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Does this help?
    Well, it helps but not to solve the problem
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, I'm experiencing the exact same behavior on two separate XP machines. Very weird issue. I can try a Vista machine at work in a few hours. I'll post what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Also, I'm experiencing the exact same behavior on two separate XP machines. Very weird issue. I can try a Vista machine at work in a few hours. I'll post what happens.
    Some info about the startup procedure a the point it checks Avisynth support.

The program uses a "software pipe" to direct screen output from FFmpeg to
    a buffer at the GUI. The program then at first can analize that buffer
    and decide what formatted output to send to the log and report windows.
    To get screen output the program simply has to run FFmpeg (in the background).
    The fact that your screenshots show the FFmpeg header indicates that this
    system works fine on your computer(s). You can also check if the FFmpeg
    commands and formats/codecs lists are available at the (top right) Help button.

After this seems to be done correctly, the program is going to check if the
    FFmpeg version can handle AVS scripts anyway. It first runs the version2.avs
    script. This script is valid for all Avisynth versions so if the program gets no
    valid response from FFmpeg in its buffer, this means the FFmpeg version doesn't
    support Avisynth.

This is the point where it goes wrong!

If it doesn't go wrong (which means the FFmpeg version supports Avisynth),
    the program is going to check which version of Avisynth is installed.
    The program runs FFmpeg with the version.avs script. This script has a line
    in it that is only valid for Avisynth 2.57 or higher.
    This is done with exactly the same code as used for the first test. If it fails
    at this point you will get the message:

"Installed Avisynth version doesn't support Avisynth AUTO options."

This means, you can use Avisynth but some advanced option are not available.
    In your case this part is never reached.

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

Does this not mean that it supports AviSynth? My understanding was that it means exactly that. I'm real confused with this issue. Every build of ffmpeg that I've tried on both XP machines has had "--enable-avisynth" displayed exactly as the screenshot.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand how to get Avanti to do 2-pass encoding?

--
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Folks - I just renamed my folder from AviSynth 2.5 to AviSynth 2.5.7 and that seemed to fix the issue, now I get:

11:12:53 - Valid FFmpeg/Avisynth combi found (Avisynth AUTO options enabled).

When the folder was renamed back to AviSynth 2.5, I got this message:

11:15:08 - This FFmpeg version doesn't support Avisynth (AVS options disabled).

and back to AviSynth 2.5.7

11:16:27 - Valid FFmpeg/Avisynth combi found (Avisynth AUTO options enabled).

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GENIUS wiseant!!!!!

That worked! Now fingers are crossed in hopes that renaming that folder has no adverse effects on anything AviSynth-related I do from now on.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    GENIUS wiseant!!!!!

That worked! Now fingers are crossed in hopes that renaming that folder has no adverse effects on anything AviSynth-related I do from now on.
    I don't know why it works this way because I don't refer to the Avisynth install direcotory in my program.
    I expect some problems but it then is perhaps better to re-install Avisynth and enter this name at installaton?
    I have installed Avisynth at the default path (Program files) and the directory is still named "Avisynth 2.5".

Sorry if there's some delay between my replies. I'm very busy elsewhere at the moment.

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bidmead

--
    Chris
    These things are not predefined in the program and all left to the user. But you can make a first and a second pass template for a particular encode setting and change the command line for both like:

-passlogfile d:\mypath\myLog -pass 1
    -passlogfile d:\mypath\myLog -pass 2
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wiseant
    Hi Folks - I just renamed my folder from AviSynth 2.5 to AviSynth 2.5.7 and that seemed to fix the issue, now I get:

11:12:53 - Valid FFmpeg/Avisynth combi found (Avisynth AUTO options enabled).

When the folder was renamed back to AviSynth 2.5, I got this message:

11:15:08 - This FFmpeg version doesn't support Avisynth (AVS options disabled).

and back to AviSynth 2.5.7

11:16:27 - Valid FFmpeg/Avisynth combi found (Avisynth AUTO options enabled).

Hope this helps
    Note that if the program reports that Avisynth isn't available, it gets that info from FFmpeg (see the description of the startup procedure in previous post).
    After you renamed the directory, it is FFmpeg who says I found Avisynth. This also means within the program, Avisynth will work.
    Problem after renaming will be that the auto plug-in load option of Avisynth still refers to the old path which it has stored in the registry. You could change it there manually if the re-installation give reversed problems (that you again have to rename it to make it work).

A general note about renaming: Never rename "Avanti-GUI.exe". The program uses the filename as a "mutex" to prevent from running a second instance of it. If you do this while you have already a encode process running, the first process would be abruptly canceled. Not fatal but if you're halfway a encoding process of a few hours, this wouldn't make you happy.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K

--
    Chris
    These things are not predefined in the program and all left to the user. But you can make a first and a second pass template for a particular encode setting and change the command line for both
    Does this mean that you need to run Avanti twice to do a 2-pass encode (or am I missing something?). In my experience, 2-pass is pretty fundamental to good encoding. So shouldn't a GUI be designed to make templates inherently 2-pass?

There's a thread that touches on this (including how to dump the first pass to /dev/null on a Windows system) at https://forum.videohelp.com/topic335968.html .

--
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K

--
    Chris
    These things are not predefined in the program and all left to the user. But you can make a first and a second pass template for a particular encode setting and change the command line for both
    Does this mean that you need to run Avanti twice to do a 2-pass encode (or am I missing something?). In my experience, 2-pass is pretty fundamental to good encoding. So shouldn't a GUI be designed to make templates inherently 2-pass?

There's a thread that touches on this (including how to dump the first pass to /dev/null on a Windows system) at https://forum.videohelp.com/topic335968.html .

--
    Chris
    Title %~n1 -- pass 1
    "C:\Program Files\WinFF\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -vcodec xvid -b 930kb -bf 1 -an -pass 1 -y nul.avi
    Title %~n1 -- pass 2
    "C:\Program Files\WinFF\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%1 -vcodec xvid -acodec mp3 -b 930kb -ab 128kb -bf 1 -pass 2 "%~dp1%~n1.avi"
    pause

/dev/null is somthing that only works in Linux afaik.
    Someone came up with nul.avi and I did some experiments with that. This does work but I have some doubts about this because Windows occasionally came up with something like "File path doesn't exists". I first want to know where (or how) nul is exactly stored.

The example you give is a batch file but with that FFmpeg also runs twice. Two pass always runs twice and the only thing nul.avi does is suppress the writing to disk. This could speed up things a little but it doesn't save diskspace bacause without nul.avi the created file at the first pass will be overwritten at the second pass.
    Actually by now the only difference is that you have to start the second pass manually.

I will consider to add a automatic 2-pass option to the program in a future version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but you do this in windows:

Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i TEST.avs -pass 1 -passlogfile TEST.log NUL
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    Yes but you do this in windows:

Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i TEST.avs -pass 1 -passlogfile TEST.log NUL
    Yes this should work too but the only difference with the batch example is that the nul filename now is given without a extension.
    You can use nul for anything nul, nul.avi. nul.txt, nul.exe it will all disappear in the nothing (at least that's how it looks like).
    Quote Quote