VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying for some time to understand how to use avisynth and/or avsedit. I have searched the main site for a step by step instructional tutorial written by those who use it, but have yet to find one. I was first introduced to FitCD by Guns1inger, (and Im most appreciative for his time and The understanding that I did get from his direction)
    However, I would like to try other filters with FitCD or even AVSEdit. I am a novice with these programs but I do use Fitcd with CCE to encode xvid to mv2 (mpeg2) elementary video streams, I like the speed and encoding clarity that I get with CCE.

A few of the problems I have with scripts are:

Are the filters downloaded as dll files into the avisynth plugins directory, if so how do I call on them or use them?

If this was a script Fitcd made for me, and if I wanted to use a filter to sharpen my video, where would I put the filter sript (after which line?) How would I call on the filter?

# -= AviSynth v2.5.7.0 script by FitCD v1.2.8 =-
    AVISource("E:\Documents and Settings\chef\My Documents\Downloads\My Movie.avi")
    LanczosResize(720,368,2,0,684,384)
    AddBorders(0,56,0,56)
    #Trim(0,153259).FadeOut(150)
    ConvertToYUY2() # For VirtualDub or CCE

Does it make sense to have fitcd and avsedit?

Is there a tutorial someone could direct me to that can explain all these things clearly, because the sites explanation, at Avisynth.org just isn't clear and doesn't give me a step by step explanation. It doesn't say if all filters are loaded in the same way or in a certain order It speaks in a way that it assumes you are already familiar with all of these things that I asked in my questions . And I really don't want to give up on it. I like learning new things and hope to get to know how to do this also. So if someone can, I ask that you might direct me to where this knowledge is.

Thanks Much
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The scipt that you give from FitCD doesn't use external dll's. All Avisynth functions it uses are build-in.
    The best you can do is... go to the install directory of Avisynth and open the docs folder. There is a index.htm you can run that gives a complete overview of the build-in functions. You can find all the commands that are in the FitCD example script and see what they actualy do. The commands are executed in the order they are given in the script. You can read how to use the "Sharpen" function. Probably the best place to put it is after the first line but you can experiment with these things to see what's best. The first active line is AVISource. All lines starting with # are only comments.
    Note that Avisynth is a pre-processor/ frame-server and that it always deliver uncompressed video and audio to feed into a encoder that supports the AVS file format (CCE does).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use AvsP instead of Avsedit - It is a much improved Avisynth script editor. Uninstall AVSedit before you install AVSP.

Avisynth is the most powerful video and audio script processor in the opensource world. Even the developers learn new things about it. It's a learning process to get up to speed, but you'll be glad you dove in
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best you can do is... go to the install directory of Avisynth and open the docs folder
    Thanks Chris K I will definitely check it out. Your info is much appreciated

Use AvsP instead of Avsedit - It is a much improved Avisynth script editor
    Again,Much appreciated info Soopafresh, I will install it and have a look see.
    Thanks guys, Much! I'll continue to post back on my hopefull progress
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Use AvsP instead of Avsedit - It is a much improved Avisynth script editor. Uninstall AVSedit before you install AVSP.
    Absolutely agree. And the AvsP + Avisynth combination is extraordinarily powerful, even on entry-level hardware. There's also the added benefit that AvsP is written in Python+WXWidgets (and so inherently cross-platform) and Avisynth 3 will also be cross-platform. So any time spent using the AvsP+Avisynth combo should turn out to be a genuine cross-platform investment.

AvsP will help you learn Avisynth -- for example, if you use its menu to insert a source file it automatically uses the correct Avisynth function to read that source. You can even drag and drop a source file onto the AvsP editing surface to achieve this. Eg if you drag a file called "overlay.bmp" onto the editor, it creates a line:
    Code:
    ImageReader("overlay.bmp")
    And this automatic AvsP feature can be tailored by the user. You can also extend AvsP by writing small Python macros. For example, I found I frequently wanted to play just a short section of a clip around my most recent cut to see if it segued properly. Assuming the AvsP playhead is at this cutting point, the following simple Python snippet creates what I call a temporary "inspection trim":

Code:
    # chb 16 Jun 07
    # this python macro sets an inspection trim
    # centered on the current frame and extending
    # margin number of frames forward and backward
    current = avsp.GetFrameNumber()
    margin = 200
    start = current - margin
    end = current + margin
    avsp.InsertText('Trim(%i,%i) #Inspection Trim' % (start, end), pos=-1 )
    --
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Bidmead, I have AVsP and AviSynth already installed and almost seem to be getting somewhere, I tried a few things, and I now see SOME things AVsP does in the way of making suggestions. Gonna keep playing with it and hopefully can get somewhere

Edit 9/10/07 Ive come up with a basic script that looks like this:

AVISource("E:\Documents and Settings\chef\My Documents\Downloads\My movie.avi")
    LanczosResize(720,480,0,1,608,430)
    Sharpen(0.50)
    ConvertToYUY2()

I fed it to CCE SP and authored it with ac3 using DVDLab pro. I got beautiful results too I will continue to discover more of what avisynth does with AVsP. And from the many choices of filters it looks like it can do many things in the way of editing video and audio.
    Anyone have any suggestions to enhance my above script?

Thanks Much

Edit> 9/15/07 I have managed to make a few scripts myself using Notepad. Nothing fancy I just used LanczosResize, AddBorders, Asharp, and ConvertToYUY2, and have got some nice looking results, Im studying how to use other plugins and filters, I find avisynth to be very exciting and interesting, Its not so easy for me but this is what keeps me interested in it.
    Is anyone familiar with using the Ghostbuster plugin or filter?
    Quote Quote