VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This has got to be one of the dumbest questions I have asked. Anyway, I downloaded the SSAinstall.exe from this site. I ran it and it says, would you like to install SSA or something along those lines and I clicked yes. Then I see the usual installshield bar go from 0-100%, then nothing ever pops up on my computer asking me where I'd like to install the program etc. I have rebooted and tried it multiple times, and I see it as a running process in my windows task manager, but the darn thing never actually installs anything. Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

It's been awhile since I installed it, but I don't remember anything like that happening. Perhaps your download is corrupt or something. My suggestion is to re-download it and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I thought it was a pretty dumb question. I did download it from a couple other sites as well, and they all had the same problem. Don't know where to go from here...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Why do you want to use "Sub Station Alpha" anyway. It is very outdated and there are a lot of alternatives for it that can even read sub Station Alpha files. I believe it's not running on W2k and XP.
    I use "Subtitle Workshop" with succes which is also free and here available.

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just figured I'd use it since it was on one of the tutorials posted here. I'll try Subtitle Workshop when I get home. THANKS for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K
    Why do you want to use "Sub Station Alpha" anyway. It is very outdated and there are a lot of alternatives for it that can even read sub Station Alpha files. I believe it's not running on W2k and XP.
    I use "Subtitle Workshop" with succes which is also free and here available.
    Chris.
    Actually, while Subtitle Workshop is very good in timing and text editing, it does not support the rich formatting of SSA/ASS.

If you need the formatting, try Aegisub.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If you need the formatting, try Aegisub
    Your right... this is also very good to adjust exact timing visibly when you load the audio track.
    I use Subtitle Workshop for creating a (raw) srt file, then Aegisub to fine-tune the timing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Chris K
    Runs fine on XP. I use it several times a week, and so what if it's no longer being developed. It works and does exactly what I want it to do, including adjusting the timing using the WAV audio.

Maybe it doesn't work in Vista, don't know. But if jwfc can't get it installed, I guess he'll have no choice but to try a different one.
    Quote Quote