VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a VirtualDub like software can do direct stream cutting for the following video format?

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264)

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried avidemux?

If it's a mp4 you can do some cutting with YAMB also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps MPEG Streamclip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What container?

If it's avi, you can use VirtualDub.

If you want to use VD's SmartRendering (cutting on non-keyframe positions), you should install the ffdshow codec from here: http://x264.nl/ (it is imortant to use this download location because you would need ffdshow WITH encoder!)

To facilitate cutting, you can use Cut Assistant. There, go to settings and acitvate SmartRendering for VirtualDub, then choose ffdshow as codec, go into the config dialog for ffdshow (from the same dialog where you selected it) and set the encoder to H264.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have the latest stable VirtualDub. It won't recognize the codec. Do I need to install something? I have CoreAVC installed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Didn't try CoreAVC myself. For VirtualDub you need a codec that is VfW compatible.

I use the FFDShow codec I mentioned above (Note the download site I posted!) with the new experimental version of VD (1.7.x). It works fine on my computer. THe "smartRendering" I recommended above works only with VD 1.7 or later.

Good Luck...

//EDIT: I realized that for some reason, this ffdshow codec doesn't include the h264 encoder any more. Don't know why. I use a slightly older beta version (ffdshow_beta3_rev1324_20070701_clsid.exe) , which has the encoder. You can download it here:
    http://www.speedshare.org/OTCQl7LVRz
    Quote Quote