VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have XP and WMP10. Was able to play .WMV files a few days ago. Somehow now WMP will complain missing codec. GSpot reports Codec as n.a. and StreamType as video/x-ms-asf.

How can I fix it?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Visit MicroSoft.com and download the needed codecs? Try restoring your OS to 10 days ago? Find and install WMP 9 instead? That's what I'd do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had that problem long time ago, I tried to reinstall WMP and codecs from Microsoft without success

I fixed that problem this way :

1) I removed all codecs packs, including ffdshow and similar
    2) I used Codec Sniper to delete everything, and I mean everything
    3) restart the computer

Of course, by this time nothing works at all

I started to install :

1) Koepi Xvid
    2) Fraunhofer Mpeg Layer-3 Codec
    3) AC3-ACM Codec

If you play some exotic formats you must install the respective codec. Then to be able to play Mpeg Streams and WMV :

1) Reinstall Nero ( fix installation ) because it uses Nero Showtime which is good and has the right codecs for MPEG, i.e., it will restore all needed codecs for Mpeg. Or use Power DVD if you want to

2) Reinstall WMP latest version

At this point you have a fresh new codecs installation as if it was a Format C:

I made this in several computers with playback problems, it's safe. Most of the problems are due to codecs conflicts, and all that packs that only are useful to ruin a computer

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  4. Reinstall worked.

I found the Audio codec was disabled. Enabling it resulted in successful playback of wma. However, there is no wmv codec. So I reinstall WMP10. Now, it's working but still no codec shows up. I am not sure if that's normal.

Thanks
    Quote Quote