VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. hi. ok here is my problem. my standalone divx player doesn't handle avi's with ac3 sound that has a high bitrate. for example, a movie with ac3 at 448 kb/s, will every now and then, have the sound drop out for a few seconds. i have in the past just used virtualdub to convert the sound to mp3 at 192 kb/s and the problem goes away, but i now have stereo sound not the 6 chnls (3/2 .1) that the ac3 had.
    so what i want to do is reduce the bitrate of the ac3 sound from 448 kb/s to say 192 kb/s but keep the ac3 format with it's 6 chnls (3/2 .1). i cannot find a program that does this so i assume i may have to convert to wav first then back to ac3? but will this maintain the origonal 6 chnls (3/2 .1)?

thanks in advance

Search Comp PM
    ffmpeggui will transcode ac3 sound but you will lose the 5.1 sound. It converts to 2.0 sound. Remember the reason it's 448 is to carry all the channel information on separate channels. When converted to 192bit,2.0 is quite adequate.

3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    kotton, Do not post the same topic on several forums.
    Please do not cross post, once is enough. If you wish a post moved, PM a Mod.

Continue here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic336134.html#1747157

Moderator redwudz