VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I tried to get some tsp's onto a vista box with Ext2fsd, and had no success. I was able to assign the 3 DVR HD partitions their own drive letter, but those 3 'drives' wouldn't map in 'My Computer'.

Then I noticed some vista compat notes which I didn't quite understand.

What did I get wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HUH!!!!!!!!
    Try asking again in english!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JimboS
    HUH!!!!!!!!
    Sorry there, jimbo... I'm really guessin' tho', that anybody who doesn't understand what I'm askin', wouldn't know the answer to the translation either.

But just in case...

"I tried to get some tsp's (TSP's are transport stream protocols - file format of DVR sattelite receiver video files) onto a vista (Vista is Microsoft's recent OS (operating system) release) box (box is slang for computer) with Ext2fsd (Ext2fsd is Matt Wu's app (app is short for application, or program) for making .tsp's 'readable/map-able' to a Windows OS), and had no success. I was able to assign the 3 DVR (sattelite receiver) HD (short for hard disk) partitions their own drive letter (drive letter is part of file path/address), but those 3 'drives' wouldn't map in 'My Computer'.

Then I noticed some vista compat (short for compatibility) notes (in the Ext2fsd help section) which I didn't quite understand.

What did I get wrong?

Thanks"

Hope this helps there, Jimbo! (So you can help me!!!)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I read your post earlier and understood it, but I don't work with transport streams, so not much help. One note, on the Ext2fsd webpage, 'Vista: you need disable system's driver signature checking'. This is for Ext2fsd v0.31a. http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/

It would also help if you posted the exact text of the 'vista compat' error notes.

It might also help to edit your post title to something like 'Help to get some tsp's onto a vista box with Ext2fsd' or similar so members experienced with those sort of issues would be more likely to read your post.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I read your post earlier and understood it, but I don't work with transport streams, so not much help. One note, on the Ext2fsd webpage, 'Vista: you need disable system's driver signature checking'. This is for Ext2fsd v0.31a. http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/

It would also help if you posted the exact text of the 'vista compat' error notes.

It might also help to edit your post title to something like 'Help to get some tsp's onto a vista box with Ext2fsd' or similar so members experienced with those sort of issues would be more likely to read your post.
    Thanks red!

The vista compat[ibility] error notes (not OS error messages) are exactly what you noted as well - about disabling driver signatures at startup. I could not find where to do this in 'setup', from bios screen...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not clear on the compatibility part either. Did you right click the installer and select 'Run as administrator' when you installed? Usually if a program isn't digitally signed, Vista will just ask you if you 'really' want to install it, similar to XP. That shouldn't cause any major problems as many aftermarket programs aren't digitally signed by MS. Sometimes Vista asks for elevated permissions for installing some programs, not the digital signature. This can happen even if you are logged on as administrator.

The only other thing I can think of is to run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode. But then it wouldn't really be 'Vista compatible'. I'm guessing that the programs author may not be too familiar with Vista.

Maybe a member with some transport stream experience will comment.

EDIT: You can disable most of Vista's security by running a program like TweakUAC. This should keep Vista from objecting to most installs. It can turn UAC off and on fairly easily. I would only turn it off for the install, or disconnect from the internet while you are testing as this turns off most all of Vista's security. Anyway, TweakUAC: http://www.tweak-uac.com/ I use 'Quiet mode' myself as a compromise between UAC irritation and no protection.

This is all assuming it's more of a install problem than a compatibility problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I'm not clear on the compatibility part either. Did you right click the installer and select 'Run as administrator' when you installed? Usually if a program isn't digitally signed, Vista will just ask you if you 'really' want to install it, similar to XP. That shouldn't cause any major problems as many aftermarket programs aren't digitally signed by MS. Sometimes Vista asks for elevated permissions for installing some programs, not the digital signature. This can happen even if you are logged on as administrator.

The only other thing I can think of is to run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode. But then it wouldn't really be 'Vista compatible'. I'm guessing that the programs author may not be too familiar with Vista.

Maybe a member with some transport stream experience will comment.

EDIT: You can disable most of Vista's security by running a program like TweakUAC. This should keep Vista from objecting to most installs. It can turn UAC off and on fairly easily. I would only turn it off for the install, or disconnect from the internet while you are testing as this turns off most all of Vista's security. Anyway, TweakUAC: http://www.tweak-uac.com/ I use 'Quiet mode' myself as a compromise between UAC irritation and no protection.

This is all assuming it's more of a install problem than a compatibility problem.
    I don't know if it's an app install issue; I was at least able to assign the partitions a drive letter. But Vista still didn't map them then, whereas XP would map them at this point.

No red, I didn't think about rt-click to run as administrator; I just clicked to 'run' as user, at the unverified signature prompt. That also could be where I went wrong there. AND, I didn't even know that Vista has modes to run apps like in earlier Windows versions.

I think it came down to a device driver issue, with a Disk Drive that's pre-loaded with Linux files (fat32), although even of that, I'm not sure...

Thanks tho'. I get another chance this coming weekend. I'm just gonna' use an XP box; I've done that before.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JimboS
    HUH!!!!!!!!
    Alright; I've asked again, in English (post #3). Do you understand the question now?

Don't bother answerin'. I think you understood the question as stated in the OP. I think also you're an antagonist - I looked at your other posts. It's a pattern.

Have a good day there, Jimbo.
    Quote Quote