VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    I have created a GUI for HCbatch. Normally HCenc requires you to write a .bat file to batch process your videos. HCbatchGUI makes the process a little simpler. It aims at simplifying the process of using command line software. HCbatchGUI should allow for easy batch processing with HC,Aften, and DGpulldown without having to write a batch script. The program and source code are available at the homepage for HCbatchGUI ~~written in c++. Comments & suggestions are welcome.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    end edit October 31, 2009
    Jump to the latest updated post by me in this thread
    For those interested I've updated the windows version of HCbatchGUI to version 14.9

Code:
    * Added a Simple User Interface (set as default)
    * Added Advanced User Interface
    * Added new file menu
    * Added Crop function avisynth in Advanced User Interface
    * Added updated HCenc 024 beta dated 10-20-2009
    * Added different mux settings for mplex (defaults at 8)
    The biggest change is the new user interface selection. The app now defaults to Simple User Interface with several options removed for simplicity sake. The user also can also choose the Advanced User Interface which is the same interface as before with a few new features added.

Simple User Interface should make it easier for new users to use the tool while Advanced User Interface will keep things the same for current users.

http://hcbatchgui.awardspace.com/
    For the latest download links.
    end edit October 31, 2009
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This project has changed considerably since I first released it. It now will not only encode your avs to m2v , it can also process the created m2v with batchDGpulldown and process the audio to AC3 with aften. There is also a GTK version for linux written in wxwidgets C++.

Download latest release at sourceforge
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcbatchgui

Look here for the user guide.
    Last edited by freebird73717; 3rd May 2010 at 14:01.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here is a simple guide for HCbatchGUI.

For a larger version of the below video just click here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1971108/tutorial.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  3. Looks good, but of course I have some suggestions which are completely based on my own opinions and preferences, so do with them what you want.

Selecting auto gop should disable the gop length scroll and ideally the auto selected value should be displayed, but I don't think that you can do that (since you won't have feedback from HC). Deselecting auto gop should enable the scroll.
    The interlaced fields frame should not be visible unless interlaced is checked. When visible the TFF/BFF options should be radio buttons since it has to be one or the other.
    Is there a way to view the job list from within the GUI? It may be useful if you get interrupted and forget where you left off.
    And maybe the ability to edit the job list to be able to remove duplicate entries.
    Does the ini file display allow for direct editing to add tweaks or comments not covered by the gui, (like chapter points)?
    Can you select a line and turn it into a comment instead of completely deleting it?
    Also automatically deleting the ini files should be an option, unless there is some way it can detect the drive filling up (or some other error) and stop the batch accordingly. In my experience a batch will keep running even though HC errors out and automatically deleting the ini files means starting from scratch.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply. This is my first attemp at a gui so it's a learning process...that and I've only been coding for about two weeks now.

Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Selecting auto gop should disable the gop length scroll and ideally the auto selected value should be displayed, but I don't think that you can do that (since you won't have feedback from HC). Deselecting auto gop should enable the scroll.
    I tried to mimic the auto gop function in hc. Will look into it further.

The interlaced fields frame should not be visible unless interlaced is checked. When visible the TFF/BFF options should be radio buttons since it has to be one or the other.
    I agree and will change that in the next release.

Is there a way to view the job list from within the GUI? It may be useful if you get interrupted and forget where you left off.
    And maybe the ability to edit the job list to be able to remove duplicate entries.
    The "job list" is actually just the individual saved ini files. While I'm sure there is a way to do what you are suggesting I'm not quite sure how but will look into it.

Does the ini file display allow for direct editing to add tweaks or comments not covered by the gui, (like chapter points)?
    Can you select a line and turn it into a comment instead of completely deleting it?
    I should be able to add that. Will do some searching to find out how.

Also automatically deleting the ini files should be an option, unless there is some way it can detect the drive filling up (or some other error) and stop the batch accordingly. In my experience a batch will keep running even though HC errors out and automatically deleting the ini files means starting from scratch.
    I was on the fence about that one. My main reason for auto deleting the ini files after the encode was that newbies may not know to go in and manually delete them after the encode so that they won't encounter errors when starting a new batch encode. But I should be able to add a button to click so that the user can delete the files his/herself.

Thanks for the feedback. It's helping me improve the app! I will work on implementing the suggestions. I can only code in my part time so it may be a week or so before changes are made. Would you be willing to evaluate the next release for me?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Keep posting back here, and I'll keep reading, trying, and commenting. I don't really do a lot of batch processing, but I've always got a few unprocessed videos hanging around that I can test with.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Second release is out.
    edit outdated don't download. Go to sourceforge to download latest.
    hcbatchgui_release_2

Changes made.

#Added button and dropdown box to change/select the matrix
    #Added manual gop selection. When auto gop is unchecked man gop becomes visible. When man. gop is checked auto gop becomes invisible.
    #Interlaced fields option is only visible when interlaced is checked.
    #Added ability to select a line and replace it with your own text.
    #Removed auto delete ini funtion (so files would not be lost in case of an error)
    #Added Delete all ini button to remove ini files after sucessful encode.

#TO DO
    Add ability to view current job list.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My prior comments were based on your screenshots and comments. I actually tried to install and run it this time. Installed OK, but won't run without .NET framework v2. I'm running W2K and don't have the .NET framework installed. What .NET features are you using and is it really necessary?

I can try it on my laptop when I get a chance, but that's not the computer that I do most of my video editing on and I would be unlikely to actually use your program there. I am also unlikely to install .NET on my primary PC.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I programmed it using sharpdevelope 2.0 (primarily because it is opensource) using C# as the language. The code i have is based loosely off several tutorials found on the net. Chose it because it seemed the easiest to learn. Still very new to this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    3rd release is out.
    edit outdated. go to sourceforge to download latest.
    hcbatchgui 3rd release

#Added Text box/review of job list. Allows for opening saved ini files and reviewing them.
    #Fixed Modify selected line. Now if you select a line in the ini display box it also puts that text in the Modify box so you can directly edit the line.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I still haven't gotten around to trying it on my laptop, but a suggestion I made earlier about GOP and AutoGOP should be re-examined because I misunderstood the AutoGOP feature and how it works. (You got me thinking and reading.) Autogop allows you to specify a maximum GOP length of between 12 and 18 so there should be a way to set that. (Again, haven't actually seen it yet, maybe you already did this.)
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Autogop allows you to specify a maximum GOP length of between 12 and 18 so there should be a way to set that. (Again, haven't actually seen it yet, maybe you already did this.)
    Yep now fixed. You can set the autogop max from 12 to 18 or uncheck the autogop and "Man. GOP" will become visible allowing you to set fixed GOP length.

I hope the .net requirement doesn't put too many people off. Didn't realize that C# required .net when I started learning it. After researching programming languages it just seemed the easiest to learn. I am also looking into C++ to try and make the app more standalone (but don't expect it anytime soon).

Thanks for all the input! All of your suggestions have been good ones.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm only marginally knowledgeable about C (in any flavor) in that I can read the code and usually figure out most of what it's doing, but I don't program in it and don't have any compilers, so I'm speculating here (and would be happy to be corrected by someone who knows for sure), but I don't think any of them should actually require .net be a requirement in the applications they build. However it is probably M$ default to include reference to the .net libraries even if they aren't used in the code and that makes any application made with it require .net be installed. If you can figure out how to remove the library references from the compiled application, .net shouldn't be required.
    Having said that, you may not have that option in the compiler version you have.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I used Sharpdevelop. You can read up about it here. It requires .net.

However I have read about a compiler called the MONO project that will compile C# without .net. Read about it here. I will read up on it myself and if I can get it working I will compile a .net free version as I want this app to be as stand alone as possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't installed this, not having NET2, but a small comment:

One annoyance with HC's own GUI is that the default output file remains the same, even when you change the input file. Thus a few times when neglecting that I've overwritten a file. (One reason I wrote my own primitive batch scripter, mentioned elsewhere.) It looks like this has the same behaviour.

I suggest the default output file name be changed automatically, to have the same root name as the input AVS file. And maybe a check to warn if the output file already exists.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes that is the default setting of the save file dialog. I will have to look into changing that because I like your idea of setting the output name the same as the input name. Will try to implement it in the next release.

Thanks for the input AlanHK!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    edit. confirmed still requiring .net as of right now.

Gadgetguy or AlanHK. Would either of you be willing to test my next release. I have read up on compiling C# with the mono project (runs off of mono runtimes instead of .net) so you should be able to use the app on computers without .net installed. You can read the article here

hcbatchgui_no_dot_net_test.exe

Thanks for all your help guys. It is much appreciated.

AlanHK I looked into changing the default save filename but couldn't change it the way you suggested. I could set a default name that would show up everytime like"your file.m2v" but that wouldn't really solve anything so I left it alone. It's to bad too because I liked the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I tried the hcbatchgui_no_dot_net_test.exe. Install goes OK, but as soon as you try to start the app, the error message about needing .net framework v2 pops up and execution stops. So it's still requiring .net to run.

P.S. Check your PM
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Crap. Well I'll keep at it. Would be great if I could get it working without .net. Thanks for the PM. I will look into it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Fourth release is out.

fixed typo in matrix combobox.

hcbatchgui_setup_4.exe

I'm also in the process of re-writing the whole gui in c++ to eliminate the need for .net. Should post it in about a week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    HCbatchGUI is now hosted at Sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcbatchgui/
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I added a link to the hcbatchgui to the hc encoder tool page.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I added a link to the hcbatchgui to the hc encoder tool page.
    How come it doesn't show in the new tools list?
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  24. I meant, how come it doesn't show up on the new tools list on the front page?

Edit: I probably should have asked in Feedback.

Edit Edit: I get it now. You don't have it listed as a separate tool, just as an "other info" link on the HC Encoder page.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  25. I tried it on my laptop and received the same error. A quick check showed that the laptop only has .net 1.1. I'm still not likely to update .net, so sorry, still can't test.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Still working on development of another build. Trying both c++ and freebasic. Not sure when will be done but will post here when finished. Thanks for all your effort
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Baldrick thanks for adding the app. I hope people find it useful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have done a major rewrite of the gui (still requires dot net but I am 3/4 done with a c++ non .net version). New release is simpler. Set source directory, target directory, average and max bitrate. Then make your setting and "Save" a ini/template (saving it as whatever is easier for you to remember). Click the "open template create batch" button then click convert the batch at top and your off...

You can reuse the templates over and over again so once you have them set up all you have to enter in the future is the source, target, bitrates then open template and convert the batch.

Pros
    No worrying with filenames. Output filenames will be the same as input but end in .m2v

No more multiple settings. Make a few basic templates then you can hide the settings and never look at them again.

Download the latest release at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcbatchgui
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here is a simple guide.

Lets say we have a bunch of 23.976 files to encode.

First make a template for your project by checking the settings at bottom. Select best for profile, set your dc precision (9 is for normal bitrates), select aspect ratio, matrix, check 3:2 pulldown, Check either auto gop or manual gop ( i suggest auto gop). Then save all that as your template (keep the template name descriptive because you can reuse these later i.e. "4_3 with pulldown.ini").

Now go to the top and Select your source and target directories, set your bitrates.

Then click "open template create batch".

Then click convert the batch and watch your encodes start!

When you have created all the templates you'll need you can hide the settings by checking the "Hide settings controls" checkbox and you won't even have to look at the settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you downloaded the new release since I posted this you will need to redownload it as I uploaded an old version for release five. Fixed it now though.

edit really fixed it this time. Sorry
    Quote Quote