VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I recently switched to Dish and got the DVR 625:
    http://www.tvguideonscreen.com/support/echostar/recordingdvr.asp
    I see that it has a usb port on the back so I plugged in my flash drive. I did this:

and then set a program to record to the external device:

However when I looked at my flash later on my computer there was nothing there. I wonder if this is related to this particular flash drive having U3 on it? At any rate, does anyone know if the 625 CAN save video to an external drive? This would be fantastic for burning to dvds. Assuming that it does, should I buy an external hard drive or is there some type of network storage that will connect directly to a usb port?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some models that support ext drives can move prevuiously recorded shows from the int to the ext drive, I personally haven't seen one that can record directly to an ext drive.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Some models that support ext drives can move prevuiously recorded shows from the int to the ext drive, I personally haven't seen one that can record directly to an ext drive.
    The menu for moving to an external drive says that this feature is currently not operational. However, since that guide I posted exists I think it seems that the feature of recording directly to the external drive should work. I tried a couple tests:
    I plugged my 4GB flash drive in (it recognized and detected it) and set something to record to it (a half hour show). However, after it had recorded I opened the flash on my computer and there were no new files. I thought this might be because this flash drive uses U3 so I plugged another 512MB completely clean flash in and did another half hour recording. Still nothing on the flash but that might be because the 512MB wasn't large enough to hold the file. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try playing the file on the flash drive from the DVR? It is likely in a format the PC can't read.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. AFAIK the 625 can not record video to external drives. Neither can the VIP622 although the VIP622 has just gained the ability to store video on a External drive and then play or move back to the 622 from the drive. 40Gb minimum and 750Gig maximum size.

That video is encrypted. I mention this as there is no way to extract the video in a usable state. So don't go rushing out to buy a 622 and USB drive expecting to extract video. It is a great way to have a HD jukebox with lots of recordings to choose from. Each recording remembers where you left off so you can resume or restart from the beginning.

Note the whole section you are showing part of.

"Q: How do I set up my DISH receiver to recognize my DVD recorder?
    Answer: Before you can use TV Guide On Screen to record to your DVD recorder you need to enable your DISH receiver to recognize the external device. To do this:"

In other words that will send via TV2 to a DVD recorder and most likely a VHS recorder too.

The USB port as I understand it on a 522/625 supports the PocketDish and maybe pictures. On the 622 it supported pictures and the PocketDish long before anything else.

Hope this clarifies things.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll just have to stick to the 1:1 capture times
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh well, Win some, Lose Some.
    Quote Quote