VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A mates father recently passed away and they took video of his last weeks on one of those record to mini dvd camcorders.

They have 8 little discs and he asked me to put it together on 1 or 2 dvds (they are not all full).

Anyway I thought I would use vob2mpg and then ulead video studio 9 so that I can use the smart render funtion to basically make a DVD without recompressing the files.

However VOB2MPG 2.5 takes hourse with the files and then reports a strange error.

So I used the ealier version of VOB2MPG and it works in seconds and I get a correct sized MPEG from it however when you play it it says the duration is only 3 seconds.

In sony vegas it imports after a while and plays the correct length (20 odd minutes) but it doesnt import the audio.

In video studio it imports but only plays and renders 3 seconds.

Any thoughts on the problem?

Worst comes to worst I can reencode but was hoping to avoid it if possible.

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First question would be are the discs finalised ?

If they are then you might try VideoRedo to see if it can open them and create a new mpg file. It will do this without re-encoding.

Which version of Vegas are you using. Both 6 and 7 should be able to work with the contents of a camera, and read the AC3 audio in the VOBs. Make sure you have the latest version of either of these.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the late reply, im having internet problems atm.

I assume they are finalised, I only have the discs not the camera and they seem to have your normal DVD structure.....they play in a dvd player so I guess they have to be?

I will try videoredo and see what happens.

I was running Vegas 5 but I just yesterday upgraded to vegas 7....havent had a chance to try it out yet but ill see what it will do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas should read the file, however Vegas in not a native mpeg editor, so it will decompress the video on the timeline, and everything will have to be re-encoded. Depending on what you need to do, this may not be an issue. However it will be slower and risk lowering quality.

Using a dedicated mpeg editor such as Womble or VideoRedo is the faster and better quality option is your editing needs are modest.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote