VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Preface: I have spent hours searching these forums and cannot find exactly what I'm looking for.

I am relatively new to ripping music video DVDs to MPEG2 for PC playback. I've tried ripping them using Vegas 7.0, but I get an error at 99% completeion that says "an error has occured and Vegas cannot open one or more files".

Do I need particular software to rip these DVDs to MPEG2? I'm assuming that Vegas 7.0 cannot do these particular discs. I would like to rip them to the following format: MPEG-2 files at 4.5Mbps VBR, 720x480 frame size (full frame), 48khz - 192kbps MPEG audio.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ripping means the transfer of files from DVD to hard disk.

What you want is the specific conversion of the VOB files back to mpeg.

Firstly, try VOB2MPG - this will convert the DVD VOB files to mpeg with no re-encoding.

If you want to be more specific about bit-rates, I suggest using DVD2AVI in conjunction with TMPGEnc.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas can use mpeg files. It can also load VOB files, however it's support for VOBs is designed specifically for handling the simple VOBs created by DVD cameras.

4500 kbps is getting down to the low end of full-D1 encoding. If the videos have any action expect to see artifacts and blocking.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can Vegas bypass copy protection?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First rip your DVD by writing complete VIDEO_TS folder to HDD using free DVDFabDecrypter (if your DVD is protected). Then use TMPGEnc MPEG Editor (not free) to import its content by title. It reads DVD from ifo files that ensures no audio/video synch problems unlike if you use separate VOBs in other software. Output as MPEG2 (nothing re-encoded of course). You can also cut out anything you don't want at this.
    BTW, (if you don't need editing) why not to simply watch DVD from the copied folder for free? Drag VIDEO_TS.IFO file to MPC and watch it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can Vegas bypass copy protection?
    Errr . . . no.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried VOB2MPG and all i got was one large file that played sound but the screen was black.

I just want to take my music video DVDs and make them seperate mpeg2 files. Each song should be a file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depending on how new or what copy protection system is used on this DVD....you can most likely do what you want with DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode - Split By Chapter.
    Then take each chapter and convert them separately to mpeg. Super might be a free alternative(to convert to mpeg)...but I use Womble Mpeg VCR most of the time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are completely misunderstanding process and are trying to do a 2 step process at once, which you cannot do.
    Step 1 - Rip the DVD.
    Step 2 - Encode the DVD to what you want.

Assuming it will work with your disc (it may not), DVD Decrypter could be used in IFO mode to rip your video and audio to separate files which could then be converted as you wish.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using DVDFab Platinum 3.0 to rip my DVD video + audio, and TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 2.0 to create my mpg2 files. It seems to be hit or miss. I've been able to do a couple DVDs, but a couple have been giving me some hell.

Is there anyone one software that will do both of steps?

I also want to know if these two software can rip the dvd into one file without splitting it into seperate files for each chapter on the dvd. I've tried a few settings, but it still creating seperate files for each chapter. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DigitalSounds
    I tried VOB2MPG and all i got was one large file that played sound but the screen was black.
    Have you installed an MPEG-2 codec?
    You can use Stinky's or install PowerDVD.
    Also make sure you only have one audio track selected and no subtitles.
    As for ripping to one file use DVDDecrypter ->IFO mode but go to Tools->Settings and select no file splitting.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Originally Posted by DigitalSounds
    Have you installed an MPEG-2 codec?
    You can use Stinky's or install PowerDVD.
    Also make sure you only have one audio track selected and no subtitles.
    As for ripping to one file use DVDDecrypter ->IFO mode but go to Tools->Settings and select no file splitting.
    I do have Power DVD 6.0 with all the ad-ons installed
    Quote Quote