VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some very sentimental family footage on a DVD+R that I copied from a digital camcorder onto my DVD+ recorder (not on the PC, its a stand alone unit). For some reason it will no longer play although it has not been scratched or marked in any way. Is there a program that will "mimic" index files to allow me to load my DVD onto my computer for copying? I have over-written the original on the camcorder by the way. Please help guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did it ever play in the DVD player? If not, perhaps the disc just needs to be finalised. If yes, are you able to view the contents of the disc in windows explorer? You may be able to import the movie files into a video editing program like Womble Video Wizard and then resave the movie, author it and burn it again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that it DID used to play in the player and it is not recognised in Windows Explorer. The drive appears empty. I have had a problem when finalizing discs on this particular DVD recorder and I fear that it is this fault that has somehow zapped the main index.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are a couple of programs you might try to recover the files: dvdisaster and ISOBuster.

Discs don't normally change like you describe, so I would also try a different DVD reader or try it on a different computer. Some DVD burners or ROMs do a better job of reading problematic discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These programs seem to try and recover worn or scratched discs. I have tried more dvd drives and none have recognised it. I think I'll have to live with the fact that the files are gone for good. Thanks guys for taking the trouble to reply.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by martinbass
    These programs seem to try and recover worn or scratched discs. I have tried more dvd drives and none have recognised it. I think I'll have to live with the fact that the files are gone for good. Thanks guys for taking the trouble to reply.
    NO... you should actually try them
    I have had disc's that would not finalize and would not show up in anything in my pc drives, not one, and yet isobuster would show the items & video on the disc and transfer it to my HDD when no other program would.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!! IT WORKED!!!. Thank you so much for recommending ISOBuster!! I extracted the video TS files and am now able to re-burn them onto DVD for all to see. It is like finding the last piece of a jigsaw. My video family history is now complete. THANKS GUYS for taking the time to read my problem and give me a solution. All the best.
    Quote Quote