VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i need your help,which vcr or vhs/dvd recorder do u recommend?i've been looking at the panasonic dmr es10,es35vs,es55,which is a good machine that got full tbc built in together with dnr?or even jvc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your source material also needs to be taken into consideration. Most units will not work with commercial tapes which contain MV.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have never heard of an ES55 model unless you mean EH55. The EH55 is nearly impossible to get as nearly all hard drive models have vanished from the US market.

The ES10 and ES35V have similar characteristics in that they can eliminate certain kinds of rolling and jitter in the VHS tape but the ES10 has no DV input and cannot record to DL media. The ES35V has both but can record to DL only upon closing the first layer which takes a few minutes. It cannot record continuously to the second layer. The newer EZ37V can record to both layers without closing but there is a momentary glitch at the layer change. The only recorder that I have tested that handles the layer change perfectly has been the LG RC797T.

The ES35V can use external devices like TBC's between the VCR side and DVD recorder side but it is not as convenient as separate units. All the Panasonic models have "flexible recording" mode which allows the user to set the playing time of the tape to fill a dvd except that the newer combos like the EZ37V do not have flexible recording mode available when copying from its own internal VCR to the DVD which is unfortunate.

The ES10 is several generations old and records in 704 by 480 format. The ES35V is 720 by 480. Both are considered legitimate D1 resolution.

The JVC's are good units also but the ones I have tested all show that they are IRE=0 recorders where VHS playback is IRE=7.5. Without some form of external correction, the result is that VHS transfers look a bit light. JVC's have no adjustment for this where the Panasonics have an internal setting for either. JVC models have the most aggressive noise filters which can make them very useful if the tapes show significant noise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well the tapes are old tapes with noise an some degradation an i want to connect the machine to the Datavideo TBC-1000 then connect to the tv card so all the tapes will on end up on my pc for futher editing before cutting to DVD
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Your source material also needs to be taken into consideration. Most units will not work with commercial tapes which contain MV.
    What is this MV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MV : MacroVision. Analogue based copy protection - deliberate introduction of signal errors into the vertical sync of video tapes. Can also be introduced through circuitry into the analogue output of DVD players. Removed by full frame TBCs such as the TBC-1000. DVD Recorders will refuse to copy MV protected source in most instances. Some VHS recorders will record MV protected source however the image will be distorted and colours will fade in and out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so the best option will be a JVC SR-DVM700US then combined with the Datavideo TBC-1000,am i right?
    Quote Quote