VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe delivers support for H.264 video and High Efficiency AAC audio codecs in the latest update to Adobe Flash Player 9, available in beta on Adobe Labs.

Decoder written by MainConcept.

Beta (expect some glitches) - http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

Watch streaming h264 here: (note the difference in artifacts between H264 and VP6)

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/fullscreendemo/

I wonder if this is YouTube motivated, or if this will motivate Youtube to finally pull the plug on Flv1 and move to H264
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    I wonder if this is YouTube motivated, or if this will motivate Youtube to finally pull the plug on Flv1 and move to H264
    I hope so, but h264 encoding is slower so it would require much more cpu power...but I guess that google has unlimited cpu power.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still no 64bit builds.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sadly, Adobe has apparently refused to support Free standards such as Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis:

http://spreadopenmedia.org/2007/08/21/this-is-a-sad-day-for-interoperability-in-the-web/
    Join the fight against Product Activation & DRM!
    www.twistedlincoln.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is really good, It sucks that the video site with the most content (youtube) has the worst quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is really good, It sucks that the video site with the most content (youtube) has the worst quality.

Yes, but if the rumors are true, Youtube will be converting to H264 sometime soon. They have a deal with AppleTV in the works or completed, which means H264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Time to upgrade once again our CPUs.

I feel a bit like doing VCDs in 2001... (H264 takes time!)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't get it to work. I've spent the last hour uninstalling and reinstalling but all I get is this...

Nowhere do I see a download for the Flash 9 Beta Player, only the activex and the plugin and neither one will work.

Just one big circle jerk.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I closed my browser and turned off AVG and it installed correctly.

Noticed a line across the upper third of the video but it was a lot better than the FLV I've seen although I do have one FLV clip that looks pretty good. Oh, and it didn't use up all my CPU like most H264 files do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the link to the video if you want to watch if on a different player offline.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/fullscreendemo/backcountry_bombshells_...in_HD_H264.mp4

The line I referred to earlier is missing on the downloaded video.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plenty of browser plugins that support AVC mp4's already such as GPAC, VLC, mplayer and QuickTime. Adobe support he-aac and Apple don't though. Could also mean high profile decoding support than Apple.

Also, I wouldn't call either H.264 or HE-AAC proprietary since they have open specs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    Here is the link to the video if you want to watch if on a different player offline.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/fullscreendemo/backcountry_bombshells_...in_HD_H264.mp4

The line I referred to earlier is missing on the downloaded video.
    Same issue here. A line in the top 1/3. No line on download using Quicktime player. It must not be resizing properly in flashplayer. I can't really comment on the difference in quality between h264 and vp6 since my system is barely able to keep up with any form of HD video.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They're aware of the horizontal line problem on H264 playback and mentioned a fix will be out soon.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have problems with all of the m2ts files that I download but seem to be able to play normal H264 files OK. Also most HD-DivX and HD-WMV play fine but every once in a while I'll need to recode one that refuses to play right.
    Quote Quote