VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have about £800.00 to spend and am considering buying either a Dell or Mesh computer to use as a stand alone machine just for video editing. I want to be able to build slide shows, edit old VHS tapes by uploading them from a VCR to the computer. I also want to be able to connect a camcorder to the computer.

I don't mind spending the money but I don't want to finish up with an inappropriate specification I am not confident enough to use the customise facility so I wonder if anyone would care to propose a Dell or a Mesh machine for me:

I know that I need the following but do not know what else I need to make sure it is built into the machine.

A Dua/Quad Core processor.
    4GB RAM.
    Two hard drives.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Three hard drives two dvd burners
    firewire XP not vista
    500w or greater power supply
    All in wonder or similar multi function video card
    dont skimp on the software.
    Maybe buy a big monitor or two if you have the space, go widescreen its the done thing these da7s
    Also look at http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/ nuffink to do wiv me
    (say I sent you so I get a discount)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the £800 include software costs?

If so, things are going to be tight.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dare I say it but the answer is "yes". £800.00 for the computer because I already use Pinnacle Studio 10.8 which to be true has been a bit of a pain. The problem is that now that I know how to use it I don't want to go through the learning process all over again.
    By the way, Rabidog, thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I contacted http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk They did not have the good manners to reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Balliol
    I contacted http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk They did not have the good manners to reply.
    Uhh? reply from who what when where?

My Vista Ultimate experience has been fruitless for Vegas. Vegas works OK on Vista (a new license) then it stops working at boot even after reinstall (twice) + clean out temp files + line by line explore registry search + try from safe mode*. I did all that and cleared temp files again and Vegas6 fully crashes Vista Ultimate for the 12th+ time at application launch.

Next I need to get on those application specific support websites to complain and/or study more the registry but I have video to edit. Vegas has been reliable under XP so I don't know where the support gurus are.

I for one stand for OS upgrades that are not charged so long as function increase is held back. If the vendor requires a major fee for a simple OS upgrade, then the currrent registered users should be offered a function equal revision without cost at something under $199 when there is no user feedback the Rev 299z works at all.

I've searched their support sites and find little to no mention of Vista. I realize things move slowly in Madison Wisconsin

I like Vegas but i don't like crashes on application launch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what the heck have you been smoking/injecting edDV? your reply is not even in the general ballpark of close to the topic.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, something in this topic caused me to out pour. Probably it was the mention of Pinnacle. Vista + Vegas reminds me of Pinnacle.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Work out the spec you want, go to www.dabs.co.uk and see how much the bits are going to cost you. Buy the bits, build it and put the change towards an awful lot of beers.

From my experience of them, I wouldn't touch Dell again with a bargepole and, from others experiences, most manufacturers are the same. You may specify what processor, memory, hard drives, etc you want, but you'll get these bits tacked onto their standard motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Dell in 2000 and had it speced how I wanted it and it got delivered exactly when I wanted it. An excellent machine that is still in use today.

Strangely enough, after a 2 day battle with dabs, I've managed to order the parts for my new PC for delivery this morning. Whether they get here or not is a different matter...
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote