VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone

I am new here but ive been to this site alot from google searches and just thought ide ask exactly what I needed. What I want is a good external capture card that can capture my Xbox 360 screen as I'm playing it so I can go put it on the computer and edit it. I want to be able to play on my TV screen and not my computer screen. An example of what I want can be found HERE.

One capture card that I found is the Turtle Beach Video Advantage USB and I was wondering if that was a good capture card or not. For the requirements, I was wondering on where to find the RAM of my computer. I'm using Windows XP software and have no idea where to find it.

If you need anymore information that can help you find me a good capture card please ask and I will find it. Thanks!
    I need help finding a good capture card for an xbox 360 console. If anyone knows a good USB external capture card please inform me. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome LoC Blood Red

Turtle beach ... did they use to make good junk ... sound cards , horrible screw ups when they played up ... keep your money .

Seriously , you would need to contact them if the device supports capture of pal-60 or nstc-59 (I think it said that) ... the maths dosent add up .

But the avermedia dvd ezmaker gold pci , dose support pal-60 , and should with nstc ... whatever the value was ... just don't recall it .

Check out : https://forum.videohelp.com/topic334002.html#1735920

Quite a few are having to wait for these cards to be delivered ... especially in england .

====

Update cpu specs ... some devices require minimum of 2 gig cpu to get the best out of them when considering out to dvd format .

Leadtek WinFast DTV1000 lists game consoles as a possible input choice ... I'll be testing it shortly ... when it gets here ... but it may require sp2 ... vista certified also .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey thanks for the welcome

so for that guide there, does that record on a vhs tape or on a video camera? because all i see is it plugging into the vcr and i need it to record on my video camera. Also for this paragraph

"But the avermedia dvd ezmaker gold pci , dose support pal-60 , and should with nstc ... whatever the value was ... just don't recall it."

i dont really know anything about internal capture cards and have no idea how they would work and the requirments i would need with them. My biggest concern with them is, is the quality any different or is there any advantage an internal card is then an external? another question about internal cards, do you have to buy less cables and do you still get to play on your tv screen?

I also wanted to know if i could just capture the full screen of my tv with a video camera and not stand it on like a tripod it looks horible when you do that but i know theres a way where you can make whatever is on the tv screen apear on the video camera screen. Then you just hit record and your recording. my dad doesnt think you can but me and my sister are sure you can
    I need help finding a good capture card for an xbox 360 console. If anyone knows a good USB external capture card please inform me. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alrite here is something that im actually thinking of buying buy i dont know which version to buy which one do you think?

This one isnt in stores anymore but can still be bought on ebay

This one which is the new one

which do u think is better?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Beware that most external capture boxes require a direct connect from the xbox audio/video such that a TV is not connected, unless you use a A/V signal splitter on the xbox A/V out. You will be able to see/hear on the computer though. If you want to go on the cheap, you can get a sub $30 PCI capture card that does a pretty decent job, though A/V sync may be a problem with these devices especially for 1.5+ hours captures. I've tried both of these and they work just fine, though I'd not rate them as the best:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100120
    http://www.aver.com/dvd/ezmakergold.html
    I've seen these at Fry's at a decent prices, if you're so lucky to have one where you live. Don't worry about a TV tuner, its only needed to watch/record TV on your computer.

Edit: I have not tried using these PCI card with an Xbox360, nor even an Xbox. I used VCR or camcorder input. Bjs your advice is first rate, thanks for the illumination!
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well start with the second post .

You'll need to check on their specifications , they must support those pal-60 or nstc-59 output standards from the xbox360 ... some devices have problems with it .

The first make's reference to :

Watch TV on your PC monitor on a full screen or in a window while you work in other applications or surfing the net using ThruView™**.

Note - ** Requires ATI Radeon Series graphics board

The second , not bad , but same deal : http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder200/features.html

I would say to stay away from such device's that restrict a user for accessing specific feature's on the basis they must have the other device .

I'll have the winfast dtv1000 , early next week for testing which is probably a little easier to get a hold of ... with avermedia products , you usually wait up to 60 days , depending on who the supplier is you select .

Then I'll repeat some tests with gears of war which dose the same thing as your snap , and add it to the guide .

----

Now for the previous post above that :

Q: so for that guide there, does that record on a vhs tape or on a video camera? because all i see is it plugging into the vcr and i need it to record on my video camera.

A: It's a bit long but here's the basis .

Xbox360 set to 480i , pal-60 output ... or nstc-59 output .
    Xbox360 a/v cable set to tv only ... as most don't have a "hdtv unit" as yet .

Then how to hook it up ... you want to play it on tv , and record to pc at same time in most case's .

Xbox360 > vcr a/v input > vcr a/v output > tv (some may require a rf adapter with older sets without a/v inputs) .

Part1 : You should be able to play the game , and record to vhs tape ... record from tape to pc at a later time .
    Part2 : Covers those with multiple outputs either from vcr or tv ... they can do both simultaneously.

Camera's are just like any other capture device , used by pc ... some will handle the input without fault , and others , don't tolerate it ... you need to research specifications , or ask the manufacturer's support , to be more specific .

There are Y adapter's which can split the signal (video / audio) , to multiple output's .

My tv has video / audio rca output's , which I thought strange , so I tested it , and it worked as well .

But when it comes to available connection's and cable's required , it should be considered unique to the individual , though what was included in the guide is the very basic's .

----

Next :

"But the avermedia dvd ezmaker gold pci , dose support pal-60 , and should with nstc ... whatever the value was ... just don't recall it."

i dont really know anything about internal capture cards and have no idea how they would work and the requirments i would need with them. My biggest concern with them is, is the quality any different or is there any advantage an internal card is then an external? another question about internal cards, do you have to buy less cables and do you still get to play on your tv screen?

Answer :

Well I won't cover all , it's just to long .

From my test , setting the xbox360 above 480i output comes back as "no can do" , it just refuse's any other output selection ... I'll do more test's this week .

Pci usually means's you might be able to get away from having sp2 installed ... though it wont belong and you'll need it .

Certainly , some usb device's are superior in capture quality , but there are draw back's to be mindful of when selecting such device's .

A: Your current system only has 3 pci slots available

This is a problem with pci units ... not only do you need to find out if they support the input , but

Pci1 can NOT have any device installed (pci1 / agp slot / onboard share resources)

This leave's only pci1 / pci2 , they share resources as well , which means's if any device is already install , it has to go in order to install the capture device .

If you use a pci modem , then you need to switch to an external ... just do not choose dlink .

I have seen systems with pci cards jammed in every pci slot , and they couldn't figure out why they had so many problem's , till I showed them , and they've been happy ever since , although it did mean some device's could no longer be used , them's the break's .

On very rare occasion's can pci1 be used , but it's best not to .

B: Usb / usb2

Most people don't think of the current drawn by usb device's count for much , but their asking for trouble .

Most systems supply 1 amp maximum , and I would warn people not to approach 3/4's maximum drawn to safe guard against the dreaded xp warning "usb overload - system reset done" ... something similar to that appears when the usb current supply drawn from the motherboards system supply by connected device's is overdrawn .

It this appears , shut down , and rip any addon agp / pci-e graphics's unit out asap .

While the system may appear to function as normal , the apic chipset on the motherboard which handles power management has be dealt a serious blow it can never full recover from ... ever .

Usb2 capture gose to stuttery crap which indicates the problem .

Installing a usb pci controller is useless when considering the device is meant to capture at higher rate's than the pci buss system is able to achieve in the first place ... though it will get the system back to something near as possible to normal .

What will happen soon is the gpu will fry because power management is unable to control power to these device's ... and the card die's a premature death from overheating .

Symptom's : Screen blanks and a hard system reset needs to take place in order to get screen back up and working .

Onboard video appears to function without fault on system's I have had to repair , but installing an agp card into the affected system heat's up very fast ... hot enough you can not touch it .

To get back to 100% normal , the motherboard need's to be replaced .

My avertv usb2 unit requires 2 amps from the usb supply ... this device get's it's power from a belkin hub which has it's own power supply and act's as an interface between the avertv usb2 unit and the pc without causing any interference during capturing .

Not all usb hub's work the same ... some a very dangerous junk .

----

Next :

I also wanted to know if i could just capture the full screen of my tv with a video camera and not stand it on like a tripod it looks horible when you do that but i know theres a way where you can make whatever is on the tv screen apear on the video camera screen. Then you just hit record and your recording. my dad doesnt think you can but me and my sister are sure you can[/quote]

Answer :

Well many have tried sitting camera's in front of their screen's , but that's really going to produce crap caused by scanline interference from the initial display ... something I would not recommend .

You can do it if the tv has the required output's of course , but a tv is accepting the format input from the xbox360 output anyway , which will result in similar problems .

Ps2 ask's if 50hertz / 60hertz , pal , cant say what nstc might be ... never enough time ... when it fire's up and you need to know which one in order to avoid damage to the unit used to display the unit's output on screen ... of course the ps2 dosent support the same output as the xbox360 ... the ps3 dose .

From the guide mentioned , I just checked the captures from gear's of war from the xbox360 appear fine using the setting's from the guide .

I did try a direct approach from the xbox360 to pc capture device , but ended up with that disgusting interlaced problem ... but then again , the idea was to be able to play , and record at the same time , when hooked up that way , it's fine in the captures .

----

We also get people wanting to capture scale's above 720x576 or 720x480 , but currently , such device's are expensive .

Then there's the debate over lcd / plasma screens damage which can be caused by sending the wrong frequency to the unit ... even dvd's that use still graphic's for whatever reason , should be avoided for now .

----

I'll update the guide with more info when I get to the rest of the test's later this week .

That's a lot for one night .

----

Thefamilyman ... it was already covered .

Beware that most external capture boxes require a direct connect from the xbox audio/video such that a TV is not connected, unless you use a A/V signal splitter on the xbox A/V out.
    Tv's with a/v outputs can be used
    Vcr's , same

I'm pretty sure that was basically covered in the guide .

The problem is with xbox360's video output ... the older xbox cause's no concern .

The first card you listed , seem's good for those wanting linux , but I already dealt with the issue of the avermedia dvd ezmaker units ... there are those waiting for the selected supplier's to restock these .

However , as mentioned before , before any device is purchased , one has to research the specific's to find out if the device supports pal-60 / nstc-59 input ... a lot don't , or do poorly .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry that this thread is a bit old. I am a newbie to anything that has to do with video recording.

Basically all the information that you just posted makes absolutely no sense to me. All I am trying to do is record a few Madden Games via my PC. What capture card would make it easy just to install it and then be able to record my games onto my Desktop? Please something easy because I am a bit stupid....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I didnt understand that - Im only 13...But I am trying to capture some video from halo 3 to post some videos on Youtube. I just want simple, cheap external capture card. But nice resolution. Also, I want to have my voice with the video too.
    If anyone knows how to do that and where to find one, PLEASE reply. I've been waiting FOREVER!!!!
    -Halo3addict
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know a decent capture card that works for 360 as of yet, but to get voice all you have to do is make a voice recording on your laptop or your PC. Some laptops have built in mics that allow you to speak and record. All you have to do is make sure you have Windows Movie Maker or something similar. Once you have the voice recording you want you just have to search for it on the Movie Maker or any other program that you have that is similar. I hope that helps for the voice recording issue.

I would also like to know of a decent capture card that isn't too high in price and that is capable of recording the games I play on my 360. Please let me know if you find one that is proven to work. Thank you for your time and effort.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found something that ought to help everyone that is looking for a way to record your gaming experience. Check out this video. I hope it helps you guys as much as it helps me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNPkmA6Gwfc&feature=related
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am trying to record my 360 to my pc the capture card i am useing does not support pal-60 is there any that do
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dont use the drives of the cd get the newest drivers from http://www.szforwardvideo.com/support/Supp_2_2.html

dc60+ easy capture card to xbox

easy to set up
    all you need
    1x- capture card
    1x- tv
    1x- xbox
    2x female splitters
    1x 2 piece ac cord

how to connect
    1st connect the 3 cords of the xbox blue red green to the component on back of tv.
    2nd grab the capture card put the 2 splitters on the audio red white on capture card insert the xbox red an white to the splitter then grab the ac cord insert into the same splitter then plug into stereo
    3rd grab the yellow cord of the xbox an plug it into the capture card yellow....
    then open ulead turn xbox tv stereo on...
    the best setting is ntsc 433 you will find setting in capture card properties
    leave the video format at default 720x480
    any more question
    email me
    trooper19756@hotmail.com
    have fun happy gaming
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody,

I am new to all this and i want to know a good capture card that is easy to hook up with XBOX 360, Cheap and is good quality.

Any help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This thread absolutely STINKS.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Why not use the Hauppauge HD-PVR?
    With it, you can record in 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i) via Component Video Cables & Optical Ac3 or Coaxial AC3 or analog stereo.

It also has built-in pass-through ports for Component Video, Coax, Optical and analog stereo ports you can hook up to your tv to eliminate lag while capturing.

It also has Composite and S-Video inputs (but no pass-through-to-tv for these) for non-HD capture sources.

Link: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
    Quote Quote