VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello,

The DVD's normally would buy from the store how do i make them professional DVD's on my own system using like TMPGEnc to convert them from AVI and i believe the store DVD's are copyright? Is there any guides to make them professional like that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want same copy protection as on commercial dvds you can burn them yourself. If you want good looking menus it's just lots of work, see for example https://forum.videohelp.com/topic331892.html?highlight=professional%20dvd
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sedtedgmail
    If you want same copy protection as on commercial dvds you can burn them yourself. If you want good looking menus it's just lots of work, see for example https://forum.videohelp.com/topic331892.html?highlight=professional%20dvd
    I didn't see on that topic how to make the menus. how do i burn compyright?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ooops, I mean If you want same copy protection as on commercial dvds you can NOT burn them yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sedtedgmail
    Ooops, I mean If you want same copy protection as on commercial dvds you can NOT burn them yourself.
    ok. how do i make the menus and settings the same way as commercial DVD's? I will be using TMPGEnc Plus for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by php111
    ok. how do i make the menus and settings the same way as commercial DVD's? I will be using TMPGEnc Plus for encoding.
    You need an authoring tool -- to combine the MPEG, audio, and make menus, and produce a VIDEO_TS folder ready to burn..

See https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

I personally use GuiForDVDAuthor.

Whatever you choose, you will have to spend some time reading the documentation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Begin with a simple, foolproof authoring tool like TMPGEnc DVD Author then work your way up to more complex tools after you have gained more experience. Eventually, you will be able to make "professional looking" DVD's but this is not the same thing as a commercial disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    You need an authoring tool -- to combine the MPEG, audio, and make menus, and produce a VIDEO_TS folder ready to burn..

See https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

I personally use GuiForDVDAuthor.

Whatever you choose, you will have to spend some time reading the documentation.
    Alan that site was a download page for tools. Is there any professional for authoring and encoding using TMPGEnc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As has been pointed out in many posts before, professional looking DVDs can't be created from guides or because you have a particular piece of software. Professional looking DVDs come form planning, preparation of assets, have a good eye for design, being able to use still image software, editing and/or effects software, and understanding how to make the navigation feel right. The authoring software is only used to glue everything together at the end. It is everything you do before you author that makes a DVD look professional.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. how can i do all of that so it can be a commercial DVD on my system?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There isn't any home authoring software you can use to make a commercial DVD. For a start they are pressed on giant machines and not burnt in a PC drive. The plants which press them require digital masters which are made to exacting standards. You would need about $50,000 worth of software and several years programing experience to be able to meet those standards. It is far cheaper/easier to hire a professional authoring house to do the work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    As has been pointed out in many posts before, professional looking DVDs can be created from guides or because you have a particular piece of software. Professional looking DVDs come form planning, preparation of assets, have a good eye for design, being able to use still image software, editing and/or effects software, and understanding how to make the navigation feel right. The authoring software is only used to glue everything together at the end. It is everything you do before you author that makes a DVD look professional.
    Well said. There are those who expect magic and instant gratification from an authoring program. But it really is just the canvas upon which a competent designer applies the "paint".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan that site was a download page for tools. Is there any professional for authoring and encoding using TMPGEnc?
    Yes. Authoring tools. That's what you need.
    TMPGEnc makes MPEGs.
    You use them in an authoring program, as those linked.

You keep using the words "professional" and "commercial".
    I don't know what you mean by that.
    Just what do you intend to do with your discs?

For what it's worth, I think my discs are professional in that they work and aren't too ugly on the screen. But they're obviously not commercial because they don't have a lot of crap to click through like most "commercial" discs force you to before they let you see the damn feature.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Authoring tools. That's what you need.
    TMPGEnc makes MPEGs.
    You use them in an authoring program, as those linked.

You keep using the words "professional" and "commercial".
    I don't know what you mean by that.
    Just what do you intend to do with your discs?

For what it's worth, I think my discs are professional in that they work and aren't too ugly on the screen. But they're obviously not commercial because they don't have a lot of crap to click through like most "commercial" discs force you to before they let you see the damn feature.
    hi,

I just plan on watching the DVD's on a DVD player. What would be the best way to setup TMPGEnc settings to encode to an MPEG Alan? Up above saying i can't make commercial at home. What i mean by commercial is burn the DVD's the same way they are encoded and authored like they are at stores.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is nothing you can buy which will make professional looking DVDs instantly. You need to begin with a simple but foolproof authoring tool, practice a lot, get things looking as good as you possibly can, then move on to a more elaborate authoring tool. After about three years you will be able to author discs with fancy interactive menus which look like they've been bought from a shop. Learn to walk before you can run. I strongly recommend TMPGEnc DVD Author as you are using their MPEG encoder already. It is foolproof, easy to learn and (with a bit of practice) can make some pretty decent looking menus. It has some limitations but by the time you have learnt what they are you will be ready to move on to a more elaborate authoring tool.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I just bought a pair of running shoes at K-Mart and I'm going to compete in the 100 meter race at the 2008 Olympics. Should I thank everyone before they give me the 1st place trophy or wait until they hand it to me? I just want to be a "professional" winner.

Capice?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just plan on watching the DVD's on a DVD player. What would be the best way to setup TMPGEnc settings to encode to an MPEG Alan? Up above saying i can't make commercial at home. What i mean by commercial is burn the DVD's the same way they are encoded and authored like they are at stores.
    If you're just going to watch them yourself, or give to friends, all you want or need is to make standard DVDs with simple menus (or no menu, if you only have one feature). You don't want to be "commercial" at all, and professional only in the sense that you follow standards.

There are plenty of guides here as to how to do that.
    See https://www.videohelp.com/tools/TMPGEnc
    A whole page of links to articles about how to do it.

I don't use TMPGEnc myself, but plenty do so if you have any problems just ask and someone will help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ... how do i make them professional DVD's on my own system using like TMPGEnc to convert them from AVI?
    Professional looking DVD's aren't made from avi's so your starting point is already going down the wrong track.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're just going to watch them yourself, or give to friends, all you want or need is to make standard DVDs with simple menus (or no menu, if you only have one feature). You don't want to be "commercial" at all, and professional only in the sense that you follow standards.

There are plenty of guides here as to how to do that.
    See https://www.videohelp.com/tools/TMPGEnc
    A whole page of links to articles about how to do it.

I don't use TMPGEnc myself, but plenty do so if you have any problems just ask and someone will help.
    Alan on that page all i seen is TMPGEnc to download which i have and different formats converting nothing about menus and chapters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan on that page all i seen is TMPGEnc to download which i have and different formats converting nothing about menus and chapters.
    Page down. There are dozens of articles linked.
    • Guides for this tools:
      How to convert DivX/XviD with AC3 to a DVD with AC3 and subtitles
      Add permanent subtitles to VCD,SVCD,DVD,AVI with ffdshow or vobsub and convert with Tmpgenc
      Audio Compilations on DVD Guide
      AVI to DVD MPEG (using CCE or TMPGenc encoders)
      AVI,DivX,XviD to DVD with switchable subs using DVD2SVCD(AVI2DVD)
      Basic and Advanced TMPGEnc and TMPGenc Xpress guides
      Best Way To Convert a 320x240 Low Bitrate DivX to VCD
      CDDA on DVD, aka creating "Audio DVD-Video"
      Configuring TMPGEnc for high-quality, DVD-compliant MPEG-2
      Convert NTSC AVI, DVD, (S)VCD to PAL DVD, (S)VCD
      Converting SVCD PAL 25fps to SVCD NTSC 23.976fps
      Create a still picture VideoCD with sound comments
      Creating (S)VCD Stills with Audio
      DivX to VCD MPEG All-In-One Guide
      doom9 DV to DVD guide
      doom9 DVD to SVCD using DVD2SVCD
      doom9 DVD2SVCD guide
      DVD to (S)VCD with Menu's and Chapters
      DVD to MPG for PocketPC
      DVD to one DVDR using DVD2DVD(DVD2SVCD)
      Exporting your video from Premiere to TMPGenc
      High Quality Capturing with Little Frame Loss in VirtualDub
      How to author a working DVD containing multiple SVCD's
      How to capture DV Video from your camera and convert it to DVD
      How to convert a DivX file to DVD MPEG2
      How to convert AVI/DivX/XviD with AC3 to DVD with AC3
      How to Convert OGM to DVD
      How To Convert To Pal or NTSC With Dgpulldown
      How to correct reversed field order in interlaced MPEG
      How to create a pictures VideoCD with transitions and continuous background music
      How to create hybrid frame-rate (aka VFR) MPEG-2 for SVCD or DVD in TMPGEnc
      How to fix gradual loss of sync once and for all
      How to repair a VCD or a SVCD
      Joining MPEGs to AVIs, AVIs to AVIs, etc. Using Frameserving
      Make Award Winning slideshows with MemoriesOnTV and TMpgEnc
      Motion menus and chapters with DVD-Lab
      OGM to SVCD easy Guide
      Optimizing TMPGEnc for quality AND speed
      Perfect AV Sync: SVCD/VCD to DVD
      Play Your PC's Video Files on ReplayTV
      Removing commercials from MPEG files using TMPGenc or Womble MPEG2VCR
      SatStorm 's Advices: A 12 step NTSC to PAL conversion guide
      Sefy's classical DVD to VCD ripping guide