VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I hope I have posted this in the right forum, if not I apologise

I have converted an AVI file to DVD, but the audio on the DVD is out of synch. I use DJRumpy's excellent guide to convert it over.

The AVI file's video and audio is in sync, so there is no problem there, its only when I get to the encoding stage that it is out. I use VirtualDub Mod to extract the audio to WAV and then convert it to AC3 using beSweet. I then use CCE to encode the AVS file and DVD Lab Pro 2 to author the created files. I have tried converting it to various formats (MP2 etc) but with the same result.

For example, the AVI that I am encoding is reported by GSpot to be 1:55:40, but the two files that are created and subsequently displayed in DVD Lab Pro 2 are :

video: 1:55:39
    audio: 1:55:38

When the DVD is authored the audio is out of sync.

Are there any programs that can adjust the audio in the VOB file? and can anyone advise any possible solutions or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks very much for your time.

Deathwalker
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-
    Are there any programs that can adjust the audio in the VOB file?
    No.
    and can anyone advise any possible solutions or what I might be doing wrong?
    You probably didn't do anything wrong. There was probably a delay in the muxed AVI you didn't know about and didn't take into account. To fix it, find out the amount of the delay and apply it when using DVDLab Pro to author, doing it all again. Or, if DVDLab Pro has no way to set a delay, then fix it for good using DelayCut on the AC3, and then reauthor.

If you'd rather not go through the entire DVDLab Pro process again, then demux using PGCDemux. Reauthor using Muxman. It can add in delays up to +/- 300ms. You can use it if the delay is within 300ms, or run the AC3 through DelayCut. Then open the out-of-synch DVD in VobBlanker and use the "Replace" button to replace the old video with the new and fixed one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply Manono.

Just a quick question, how do I find the audio delay in the muxed AVI.? I have demuxed the audio and video from the VOB files using PCGDemux and that told me there was no audio delay.

Using the files created I pluged them into DVD Lab Pro and the video and audio times were right, I will try using Muxman
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi-

Just a quick question, how do I find the audio delay in the muxed AVI.?
    I don't know. If there's a way, perhaps someone else can tell you. What I can tell you is how to find it out from the muxed VOBs, pretty close anyway:

This assumes it's a constant delay - that it's the same all the way through. Open a VOB in Media Player Classic. Right-click the screen and go Options->Filter->Audio Switcher->check the "audio time shift" box, and fill in an estimate of the amount of asynch. 1000ms=1 second, and a negative delay moves the audio forward against the video. A positive delay delays the audio against the video. Hit "Apply" and test it out. Resume playback. Adjust until you get it right. At that point you'll know how much the audio is out of synch and how much to set the delay in your muxing app or in DelayCut.

When all done, either uncheck the box or set the audio time shift back to 0 in MPC.

I have demuxed the audio and video from the VOB files using PCGDemux and that told me there was no audio delay.
    It would, wouldn't it, as you never set one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for all your help manono, I have it nearly right but I think that there is a time delay difference in each VOB and that it is not constant.

Cheers
    deathwalker
    Quote Quote