VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I have a Philips 5982, and I'm trying to play a foreign movie from my USB drive. The AVI has a subtitle SRT file that it reads the subtitles from, and the movie and subtitles play perfectly on my computer, but when I put them on my USB drive and try to play the movie on my DVD player the subtitles don't display.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do subs work properly when you have them on a disc (DVD or CD) with your player?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here's how you do it on my Philips DVP-642. This should work on your player as well. Put the disc in and when the menu comes up, highlight the subtitles file and then press Subtitles on the remote control. It should tell you something like "Subtitles file selected". Then highlight the movie and press play. The subtitles should start with the movie, but if they don't, press the Subtitles button again on the remote while the movie plays and that should make them work.

I do have to warn you that if you edited the subtitles file on a Unix/Linux/FreeBSD server that my experience is that my DVP-642 won't play such files because the end of line sequence is different from Windows on those operating systems. My "fix" was to open the file in a Windows editor and save it.
    Quote Quote