VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am shooting in HDV and would like to author my own Blu Ray DVD's. I am looking at buying Adobe Encore CS3, but what do I need to convert the HDV files to in order to author the Blu Ray DVD's? Right now I am using TMPGEnc express 4.0. It has a HDV format MPEG selection on the format page, which then give me HDV-HD1 and HDV-HD2 options. Will that work for authoring purposes or do I need to get something else.

Thanks for any input. It is greatly appreciated.

Phil
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to check in at the forums at http://www.doom9.net. I don't really keep up as BluRay is too expensive right now for me to have it, but my understanding is that the currently available authoring programs that don't cost thousands of dollars are only supporting MPEG-2 video for BluRay authoring at this time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Along with CS3, there's also DVDit Pro HD that will Author Blu-ray with menus.

However, there are talks about BD Players dropping support for BDMV (Blu-ray with menus burned to Blu-ray discs). I don't know if this is the long-term strategy of the Blu-ray player manufacturers, but it's enough to make me regret purchasing DVDit Pro HD

If you don't need menus, then you might consider Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus -- will burn straight to Blu-ray disc from a video source -- I believe BDAV will still be supported by the BD Players, but they are still changing the rules (even this far into the game).

HD-DVD on DVD5/9 discs has been working pretty well for over a year now -- Ulead's MovieFactory 6 Plus also burns HD-DVD (with menus, and NO re-encoding of HDV mpeg2 -- assuming no editing or only straight cuts). It can burn to HD-DVD discs, or DVD5/9 discs (3x DVD).

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is why I will wait, along time, until all the tools are readily available. These mfgs. are pushing everthing out the door in an organized chaotic manner and getting people hot to trot.
    It's almost like having a hydrogen car-where's the fuel? Desire exceeds reality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for the help. It is appreciated.

Phil
    Quote Quote