VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I record TV shows on VHS tape, I would get closed caption at the bottom of the screen if I mute the TV. But with my new DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-ES15) I don't get the words at the bottom of the screen, whether I mute, or push the cc button of the TV (Polaroid FLM3232 LCD 32").
    Is it possible to record this option on DVD, just like VHS tape? I tried both DVD-RAM and DVD+RW.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unless your DVD recorder specifically supports recording closed captions, it won't work. I suspect only high end consumer/prosumer ones do it. None of my consumer ones can do it. Indeed, they can't even display closed captions on commercial DVDs that have them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A while back, I thought I might have to replace my recorder and I downloaded the manual for the DMR-ES15 in PDF format from Panasonic's website to study it. I just searched for "closed caption" in the manual and, on page 43, it said that closed captions don't display if progressive output is selected. Have you tried turning it off?

I have the predecessor of this model, the Panasonic DMR-ES10. I have never had a problem displaying closed captions. If they were included in the first place, all I have to do is turn CC on in the TV's menu and there they are. It is not exactly a prosumer item. The manual on my recorder says the same thing as yours, and by coincidence, I don't use progressive output.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just to clarify, I meant the ability to take an incoming video signal (e.g., from a VHS deck) that has the Line 21 encoding for CC and encode that into the DVD recording.

I'm curious to know if any affordable DVD recorders can do that. (With DV equipment, some higher end decks can take analog Line 21 and encode it into the DV stream.)

I may have misread the OP's post, assuming that the problem was with taking existing VHS material and recording it to DVD. If the issue is solely with DVDs already with CC, I agree that it isn't a consumer vs. prosumer thing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DMR-ES10 also records the closed captioning part of the video signal from analog cable, though as far as I can tell, this feature isn't documented in the manual. (Sometimes I watch recordings with the sound muted to avoid disturbing others, so I'm sure of that.) I haven't looked at CC in recordings transferred from VHS to DVD using my recorder. I'll have to try it some time.

Since I don't own a DMR-ES15 , and it's not documented in that manual either, I can't say for sure, but I would expect Panasonic to have retained the ability to record CC in the later model.
    Quote Quote  
  6. All Panasonics that I have bought record CC's from any source.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally cleared up. On pogressive scan, no closed caption is shown. In interlace mode, caption will show. Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What outputs are you guys using? After futzing around a bit, I figured out that on component video (3-wire video, red/white audio), I got no captions, but on "VIDEO" ("RCA"? the old standard 1-wire yellow video red/white audio) I have captions.

It didn't matter whether I had progressive on or off for component video.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the output from the DMR-ES15, or the input to my TV.

I was testing with a commercial DVD that I knew had captions.
    Quote Quote  
  9. All my panasonics display CCs with whatever cable they are used with. Could it be your tv?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using RCA jacks to connect my DVD recorder to the TV. I don't have the option of using component output for it, so I can't say whether that works as well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since component output is supposed to be of higher quality than RCA, that's what I use. And the progressive scan output is supposed to be better than interlace. But since I prefer to have CC, I have to give up progressive scan. To be fair, I can't see the difference between Progressive and Interlace, at lease on my 32 inch LCD. So no real loss. But it is amazing to see how others' setup behave differently, with just different cords.
    Quote Quote