VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need DVD player for use with LCD Monitor(without a pc), not with TV. What kind of video output is required to attach player to LCD monitor, and what DVD player model would be suitable for? What type of LCD monitor would better suit to use with DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siluet
    I need DVD player for use with LCD Monitor(without a pc), not with TV. What kind of video output is required to attach player to LCD monitor, and what DVD player model would be suitable for? What type of LCD monitor would better suit to use with DVD player?
    That would depend on the LCD monitor and the DVD player. Both would need to be extraordinary. A computer monitor is not a TV as you found out. A computer monitor requires progressive scan RGB video over VGA or DVI-D at specified resolutions. See the spec sheet and refer to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

DVD players normally output analog video as composite, S-Video or analog component (YPbPr). In Europe you often get a form of analog RGB over SCART but that isn't VGA format.

So, you have a problem. The DVD player outputs different formats than a computer monitor accepts. That is why LCD-TV sets exist. They accept video formats directly.

At the top resolution end of LCD computer monitors, there begins to be overlap with upscaling DVD players for 720p HDMI out. The normal problem with connecting the two is HDCP encryption requirements built into most upscaling DVD players or all HD/BD players. Your computer monitor must be HDCP active before the DVD player will output higher resolutions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

Even if you have HDCP compatibility, the computer monitor then needs to default to 720p or 1080p TV resolutions respecting both 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios (e.g. 4:3 video in letterbox or with sidebars). Most don't so you need to adjust H and V size + H and V position when you change video sources.

720p and 1080p use square pixels so there is some hope for overlap with computer VGA or DVI-D. Standard 576p PAR (pixel aspect ratio) is never square so aspect ratio will always be wrong on a computer monitor. The computer monitor may or may not have enough H and V size adjustment to compensate. That is why you must upscale everything to 720p or 1080p.

You will never get 480i, 576i or 1080i to work with a computer monitor. Interlace is not supported. The source device must do the progressive conversion.

So, you see the problem. Is there an exception? I found one. My new 22" 1680x1050 Samsung SyncMaster 226BW computer monitor supports HDCP and accepts 1280x720p over DVI-D with automatic upscaing to 1680x1050 16:9. I was pleasantly surprised that I could plug it into an HD cable box and have it both sync and scale properly including side bars for 4:3. Next I want to try it on a 1080p source.

Is it as good as an LCD-TV? The answer is no. You can't get the same dynamic contrast features to manage black levels, auto video enhancement or specific support for non HDTV video input. That said, this is an adequate small TV solution for a desk or small room at about half the cost of an LCD-TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for helpful information. It seems, use a low-cost model of LCD-TV (or LCD-TV screen/without tuner) would be a better solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a small number of DVD players that have a VGA(d-sub) output jack. I have an RJ Tech model with one and I have hooked it up to a CRT monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's why I want LCD-TV .
    Quote Quote