VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have used Hyper Terminal programs on windows to communicate between two PCs with serial communication with a null-modem cable.

I would like to know how to use the TCP/IP(winsock) mode in virtual terminal to communicate between two PCs on the same network at work or at home ?

I tried this morning with two PCs, using IPCONFIG to find out their IP address, and default gateway. I type them in each others Host address and try. It did not work. What should I do ? What else should I find out ?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are the PC on the same subnet?

Can you ping the second PC from the first?

Does the recieving PC have telnet service running (on port 23)?

Is there any firewall/router blocking going on?
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One PC will have to act as the listener, and the other, the client. Hyperterm will suffice as the client, but I believe you will need to find another tool to act as the listener. Win 2000 and XP Pro both have a built in telnet server, that you could enable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. How do I start a telnet server ?

Does it have to do with this first screen in Hyper terminal ?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    Does the recieving PC have telnet service running (on port 23)?
    Further to this. if you do the following at a command prompt on the recieving PC:

Code:
    netstat -an -p tcp
    and have nothing for port 23:

Code:
    Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
      TCP    0.0.0.0:25             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
      TCP    0.0.0.0:80             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
      TCP    0.0.0.0:135            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
      TCP    0.0.0.0:443            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
      TCP    0.0.0.0:445            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
      TCP    0.0.0.0:1040           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
    then it isn't.

Look at your services:

if you have telnet, enable it and start it. If not you can install it from "Add remove programs"->"Windows components"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do I start telnet server on both PCs ? Do the traffic go thru the telnet server then the hyper terminal ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only on the PC you intend to HT to. However if you want to HT from either PCs then you would do both.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I managed to start the telnet server.

I got a welcome to microsoft telnet service, and it ask for login and password.

What do I find a login and password on my own PC ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Log in to the server with a user account's credentials - i.e., a user id and password used to log in to Windows on that machine interactively.
    Quote Quote  
  10. That were the first few things I tried. I tried both the network ID/password as well as the local ID/password. Both did not work. Sigh.., Our resident IS guru is not Telnet Savvy. I am not hard on HyperTerm.

Note : Any PCs with internet access always can talk to each other via instant messaging.

I basically want to able to exchange simple message between two PCs that are in a wired or wireless network, when the distant between them is beyond cable length of RS232 or USB, like two floors apart, and don't have internet access.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Have you considered the Windows Messenger Service (nothing to do with the Instant Messaging)?

It's built in to Windows and lets you send simple text to specific users/computers via the command line, e.g.

net send <your other PC's name - not IP> this is my message

A pop-up dialog will appear on the remote PC's display.

You have to enable the Messenger service on all PC's for it to work.

There is an issue with spamming from outside but your computers are not connected to the internet. It's the main reason it has gone out of favor and is disabled by default.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Have you considered the Windows Messenger Service (nothing to do with the Instant Messaging)?

It's built in to Windows and lets you send simple text to specific users/computers via the command line, e.g.

You have to enable the Messenger service on all PC's for it to work.

There is an issue with spamming from outside but your computers are not connected to the internet. It's the main reason it has gone out of favor and is disabled by default.
    That reminds me of some great fun we had during windows NT classes.
    Damn that teacher must of really hated use after a few days or so.
    We'd popup messages during his powerpoint presentation all day long. It was a hoot.
    We also hacked his box to play the sound of a flushing toilet every time a default sound was suppose to go off.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Have you considered the Windows Messenger Service (nothing to do with the Instant Messaging)?

THANK YOU
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For two winsock hyperterminal sessions to communicate at least one must be in the 'Wait for call' mode. On one Select Main Menu -> Call -> Wait for call (after it has timed out with 'Cannot connect'). On the other then click 'Call'. I used port 23 and ip addresses obtained using command 'ipconfig'. The two PC's were on the same windows network/workgroup. After this asymmetry the connection becomes symmetrical. Typing in either window appears on both. The telnet service was not even installed on both. The firewall was the standard windows firewall enabled on both with no special changes. I have now also found that a standard windows network host PC name can be typed into the hyperterminal 'address' field instead of an ip address.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thank you for the info. I will try it.
    Quote Quote