VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a free software video player than doesn't require installation; that is, it is an .exe that will run without being registered in Windows (installed). It needs to accept a command line argument such as: videoplayer.exe Video_TS/Video_TS.VOB Does something like this exist?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    You might want to look into MPlayer for Windows, It is monolithic and runs out of a folder, I can't answer your question about the CLI argument for certain. MPlayer is built on top of Mencoder which is a CLI. Type in MPlayer in the "Tools" section to the left and you will find it. It's a Linux app but there is a link to a Windows build there. If I'm not mistaken celtic_druid (a member here) also does MPlayer Windows builds. Probably google is your best bet for those. MPlayer is nothing short of phenomenal in Linux and the Windows builds are getting better all the time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi SCDVD,

There is also ffplay.exe as well. In fact, I use it in one of my gui tools to view after
    I've encoded a video. I believe that this app is a part of the ffmpeg package because
    it came with it. There's no version number available..

--> though on mine, it is date stamped: 12/26/2006.

From my understanding, it is a command line program, but opens as a windows app.
    There is no fancy buttons or anything. But by moving the mouse pointer (horizontally)
    to any possition on the window's screen, you can RW/FF.. a bit crude, but effective.
    I myself, prefer a "rewind" feature (via cmd-line argument) but everything I've thrown
    at the command line does nothing. So basicaly it is a null (no argument) command line
    tool.

You can also drag a .vob (or any video source) to it and it will play the video source.

For cmd-line params, it would be nice to include a [play once], [rewind], [0-255], [16-235]
    to name a few.

-vhelp 4376
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you can do that with MplayerC and VLC as well

Mplayerc \path_to\File.AVI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Soopafresh, would that be VLC in the usual form or the the one from portable apps? I forgot there was a "Portable" version of VLC that runs on USB keys etc. It can be found here: http://portableapps.com/
    EDIT: Well I'll be Gawl Danged if there ain't an MPlayer portable there now as well:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/mplayer_portable
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just about all of the players have commandline support. O/T - "Portable Mplayer" ? It always has been portable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Yes I realize MPlayer runs from a folder, I was just pointing out that both VLC and MPlayer were there to the OP since he indicated he wanted no installer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all of the good info. I checked out VLC portable and it looks great. It has a nifty way of supporting use with optical media. You simply install it to a folder on your hard disc and run it once. You then transfer this folder with its files and subfolders intact to the optical disc. It also supports a command line argument so it can be autorun to launch a video.
    Quote Quote