VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to create a dvd-video which can be played in a standard DVD player, and mounted on a Mac as an HFS filesystem. There is a Mac binary I need to include which will not run unless it has the correct HFS attribute.

Code:
    mkisofs -dvd-video -hfs --osx-hfs --macbin -V MYTITLE -o image.iso ./mydata
    I tried this command, but it didn't play right in dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You may get better answers in the Mac forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Burnz will do this for you. If you burn as HFS+, it will include all "lower" filesystems (including UDF). So make your folder structure correct for the DVD and add a folder inside of which you place your Mac app.

VIDEO_TS
    AUDIO_TS
    MYAPP_IN_HERE

Place all three of the above folders inside of a folder named for your DVD, then drop THAT folder onto Burnz. Launch Burnz first to configure it properly and then the previous instructions should work for you. Let us know how it goes.

Look here: http://www.thinkertons.com/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will Burnz sort and pad the DVD-video files to make it compatible with DVD players? I downloaded the trial, and the format setting for HFS+ seemed to mention everything but UDF and video. Is there a way to burn [to] images with Burnz? I don't have a DVD burner in the Mac.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your file structure is correct (it's been "authored" correctly with the VIDEO_TS folder and all the required files are present therein), then the disc that results (from the Burnz burn) will play in your DVD player (assuming the media you choose is proper for your DVD player). The disc will also contain the HFS+ file system so Mac apps will run if you put the disc in your Mac.

Burnz will burn disc images to disc but your requirements (of the disc being both UDF and HFS+) are now the responsibility of the app that creates the disc image. OSX doesn't have anything "built-in" and Burnz doesn't create disc images; it just burns folders and disc images to disc.

Solution: Buy an external DVD burner. Shouldn't be more than $80 if you buy a case and a drive and assemble them yourself.
    Quote Quote