VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've tried now a couple of times to burn a dual layer disk.
    If I shrink everything down to a singel layer disk it works just fine.
    But when burning on a dual layer it freezes the movie exactly att the layer break.
    It won't play (or read when in PC) from any file that is placed on the second layer.

All in all it seems to be something with the layer break that is messed up.
    I am using DVDshrink to reauthour the disk. And it then uses Nero (latest version) to burn.

Any idea what to do?
    Would rather like tips for solutions that do not include installing a new burning software.

/Papegoja
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most DL discs are poor quality. Verbatim are the only ones to make consist quality DL discs. If you are using anything else you are already reducing your chances of success.

DL playback compatibility is considerably lower than SL playback. Most newer players should handle them, but no guarantees.

Imgburn is the most reliable software for burning DVD Video, especially DL. Nero would be a distant second for SL, and not something I would use at all for DL.

Final question : How does Shrink figure in your process ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm already using Verbatime disks. So it is not a disk quality issue.
    DVD shrink is used to authour the disk layout. I've collected a bunch of small DVD movie files into one disk. Sort of a show reel.
    Only setting done in DVD shrink is the disk size (so it doesn't try to shrink the quality).
    Then I just click Backup.
    I've also tried to use Nero Vision to create and burn the disk. Same problem.
    Half the disk plays just fine. But as soon as it tries to do the layer break it freezes. And if you try to start from a part of the movie that is on the second layer it freezes directly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by papegoja
    ...Any idea what to do?
    Would rather like tips for solutions that do not include installing a new burning software.

/Papegoja
    Any specific reason why you prefer not to install a new burning software?...this may be your only [best] option because it seems you need to correctly set the layer-break. I would do what guns1inger suggested...use ImgBurn. It's an excellent program and is free. It allows you to select/create an optimal layer-break. For what it's worth, here is a link on how to set the layer-break using ImgBurn by creating an ISO file first, then burning it:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

If you still refuse to install this [or any other] recommended software, then your problem may continue to exist - especially if the software you are using does not allow you to set the layer-break.

Good luck.
    The more you know, the more there is to know...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nero just isn't capable of correctly setting the layer break, so you will have a high probability of failure at that point if you insist on using it. Imgburn is the only easily available burning application that does set the layer break correctly and has a high degree of success. It also does a few other things that Nero and others don't that make it's burns more compliant than most. It's small, it's free, and it's damn good. What's not to like.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ScorpioDragon
    ... here is a link on how to set the layer-break using ImgBurn by creating an ISO file first, then burning it:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777
    I read the instructions at this link and it mentions a "Media" tab under the "Advanced" tab in ImgBurn. However I am unable to get the "Media" tab to appear. What's the trick? I'm using ImgBurn version 2.3.2.0 which is apparently the latest version available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    I read the instructions at this link and it mentions a "Media" tab under the "Advanced" tab in ImgBurn. However I am unable to get the "Media" tab to appear. What's the trick? I'm using ImgBurn version 2.3.2.0 which is apparently the latest version available.
    There's no trick to it...it's on the right-hand side of the main window. Maybe you've simply overlooked it, or you need to reinstall the software. Here's a screeenshot:

The more you know, the more there is to know...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    papegoja,

Where the layer break is located only affects playback at the layer break. You have a different problem if:
    It won't play (or read when in PC) from any file that is placed on the second layer.
    That would be an entire-second-layer problem. At this point (since you used Verbatim DL disks), all we know for sure is the media isn't likely to be the problem. Rather than speculate what the problem is, it would be helpful if you would post a burn log to see the details of what happened during the burning.

I see these were your first posts here, so welcome to VideoHelp.

By the way...I wholeheartedly agree with guns1inger and ScorpioDragon that you would be better off by switching to ImgBurn for burning (especially dual layer), but it's your process, so it's your decision. Just be aware that nero has some rather undesirable "quirks" that ImgBurn doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JohnnyBob,

The "Media" tab is only there if you selected "Image File" for the output. If you select "Device" for the output, there's no need for the "Media" tab, so it isn't there.

I don't generally use the intermediary step of creating an ISO, so I rarely see the "Media" tab.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This should be a sticky:
    1.Use Verbatim +R DL.
    2.Do not use DVDShrink or Nero when working with DL.
    3a.Use DVDDecrypter ISO Read->ISO write,use the MDS file as the source when writing.
    3b.Use DVDFab Decrypter to rip and ImgBurn ->Build Mode to write.
    4.There is no guarantee that DL will work on all DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud
    JohnnyBob,

The "Media" tab is only there if you selected "Image File" for the output. If you select "Device" for the output, there's no need for the "Media" tab, so it isn't there.

I don't generally use the intermediary step of creating an ISO, so I rarely see the "Media" tab.
    Thanks. The instructions at that link forgot to mention that vital fact. Also they give no information or details about selecting a Profile, except to say it is important. I've never created an ISO and have found no need for it. I've always used Device output, with good success, 250+ successful burns. But I would like to understand the ISO process in case I need it someday(?).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Another thing to consider is make sure your authoring app is setting your layer break as "non-seamless" Which authoring tool are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JohnnyBob,

An ISO is a single file that exactly represents the entire content as a sequence of bytes as they would appear on a burned disk. An ISO could be helpful if, for example, you wanted to burn multiple copies of the content at different times...like a disk you're selling, and only burning as orders come in. Of course, you could also just use "Build" mode again on the original directory structure.

Some people prefer keeping the content in one file, instead of a group of files/directories.

With ImgBurn's "Build" mode, whether you use ISOs or not comes down to personal preference. There really isn't a "need" to use ISOs anymore. Since your current process (without ISOs) is working for you, it would be a good idea to just keep doing it the same way.
    Quote Quote  
  14. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    videopoo,
    Thanks, but... Not sure if you're talking to me but it is either over my head or outside my area of interest, not sure which.

VegasBud,
    Thanks again. Your simple explanation clarifies the purpose of an ISO file, which I had been wondering about for quite awhile. I probably won't need it. What confused me was that some people talk as if an ISO is the only way to go to avoid certain technical problems when burning DVDs, but that seems not to be true with ImgBurn. Maybe it's a good idea with Nero or other burning software, I don't know, nor care. I'm happy with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's not forget also RecordNow v7.3 - no mistakes so far.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    This should be a sticky:
    1.Use Verbatim +R DL.
    2.Do not use DVDShrink or Nero when working with DL.
    3a.Use DVDDecrypter ISO Read->ISO write,use the MDS file as the source when writing.
    3b.Use DVDFab Decrypter to rip and ImgBurn ->Build Mode to write.
    4.There is no guarantee that DL will work on all DVD players.
    Thanks, that looks like great advice for copying an entire DL disc.

Two questions:

1. If you don't recommend DVDShrink for DL discs, what would you use to rip/burn just the movie?

2. (I don't know much about DVDFab Decrypter.) Is there a certain mode (like DVDDecrypter's ISO, etc) that we should use in your step '3a'?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use dvdfabdecrypter to rip the disc itself(strips copy protection)...it only rips in "file" mode...no iso....then you can strip the stuff you want out of it with dvd shrink...like movie only or whatever u want

use imgburn for DL discs
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    use dvdfabdecrypter to rip the disc itself(strips copy protection)...it only rips in "file" mode...no iso....then you can strip the stuff you want out of it with dvd shrink...like movie only or whatever u want

use imgburn for DL discs
    ic ic...

So, is there an advantage to the two step process (DVDFab Decrypter -> DVDShrink) over the one step process of just using DVDShrink to create the ISO?

And, MOVIEGEEK suggested not to use DVDShrink for DL discs. Does that not apply if you've decrypted the movie ahead of time, rather than letting DVDShrink do it? (pre-reply... I use AnyDVD, so DVDShrink will create the ISO without a pre-decryption with an external program.)
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you try to use an .iso with Imgburn and you don't have the .mds file, it won't be able to set the layer break. It's best to load the VIDEO_TS folder into Imgburn using Build mode.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @papegoja

little strange coz i hv all my favorite movie DVD back-up on Verbatim DL.
    i used DVDShring (ISO mode) and ImgBurn all the times without any problem, out of several only one or two momentary freeze while layer transition but so far worked very well on SONY, Panasonic, JVC , Toshiba and other non-branded cheap DVD standalone Players so far.

i guess it might be your DVD drive or may be a DVD Player.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 9th Jun 2010 at 15:46. Reason: spell
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    If you try to use an .iso with Imgburn and you don't have the .mds file, it won't be able to set the layer break. It's best to load the VIDEO_TS folder into Imgburn using Build mode.
    That's good to know...

Is there a guide for DVDFab Decrypter? I tried to find one on the "tools" page, but I must be missing it.

Are you saying to use DVDFD to get a VIDEO_TS folder?

I just installed the new version (and I fired up my old v3) and neither one let's me change the output type. It wants to create an ISO file only.

And, it has a setting for "remove layer break" (comes pre-checked) - do you recommend leaving it checked? (I'm guessing that setting doesn't matter, if you can get it to output a VIDEO_TS folder.)
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 9th Jun 2010 at 16:09. Reason: added last sentence re: folder
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    If you try to use an .iso with Imgburn and you don't have the .mds file, it won't be able to set the layer break. It's best to load the VIDEO_TS folder into Imgburn using Build mode.
    That's good to know...

I just installed the new version (and I fired up my old v3) and neither one let's me change the output type. It wants to create an ISO file only.

And, it has a setting for "remove layer break" (comes pre-checked) - do you recommend leaving it checked? (I'm guessing that setting doesn't matter, if you can get it to output a VIDEO_TS folder.)
    I just installed the new version (and I fired up my old v3)...
    Which particular software you are talking about? DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter, or ImgBurn?

And, it has a setting for "remove layer break" (comes pre-checked) - do you recommend leaving it checked?
    In which particular software? ImgBurn? and how do you access this setting?
    If it is DVDShrink, I guess checked or un-checked setting does not matter much coz Imgburn takes care of size and layers.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    That's good to know...

Is there a guide for DVDFab Decrypter? I tried to find one on the "tools" page, but I must be missing it.

Are you saying to use DVDFD to get a VIDEO_TS folder?

I uncheck it in any software that has that setting. Might as well use the original layer break unless there's a reason not to.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote