VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, sorry if I'm in the wrong forum or something, I'm new.

Anyway, I've been capturing some HDTV broadcasts that I'd like to encode to play on my PS3 @720p24. I've made some progress. Firstly, I don't want to use something like PS3 Video 9, etc because I like to customize my options and filesize. I've been using MeGUI with x264 to encode my videos and I have had success. Here are my settings (command line):

Code:
    x264.exe --bitrate 3000 --level 4.1 --keyint 240 --min-keyint 24 --ref 2 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 3 --no-b-adapt --bime --weightb --subme 4 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --vbv-maxrate 10000 --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "output.mp4" "input.avs"
    The problem is, when I encode videos, if I use 29.97fps the videos work, but when I use 23.976fps they don't. I've tried using different samples, other settings, and things like that.

Here is more specifically what happens, when I encode at 23.976fps (Movies!) and the clip is under 5 minutes, it will work. However, when the clip is over 5 minutes it won't. The weirdest part is, it's not my settings because other people's profiles don't work for me. Also, I got a movie sample from person I know that they encoded at 23.976 which was longer than 10 minutes and it worked. I'm so frustrated, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you say won't work, what exactly do you mean ?

Won't play back at all ?
    Plays back with problems ?

Also, open the sample file that does play using something like MediaInfo and find out exactly how it has been encoded.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's shows up as Unsupported Data, so I can't play it. I opened it in MediaInfo, and the only difference I see, is one that my encode has the "Format" = JVT AVC, and the one that works has the format MPEG-4.

Edit: Also, if I change the fps from 23.976 when encoding, to 23.98 the movie will work, but I'd rather keep the correct fps. And the sample that works says "isom", whereas mine says "avc1".
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am allowed to bump this?

I'm going to try using 23.970fps and 23.98fps instead of 23.976fps to see if it works. I'll try and remember to post the results tomorrow. I'm just so annoyed at this, I just wanted to know if anyone else had any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the link. It's very informative. (It didn't solve my problem though )

I encoded some more videos. 23.970fps works, 23.980fps works, 29.97fps works, but 23.976fps doesn't. Could it be that the PS3 just doesn't like 23.976? The weird thing is, I have videos encoded at 23.976fps that do work. I'm just confused on why it doesn't work, could it be a conflicting setting?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your case is weird. I think you better to post your result in the doom9 PS3 AVC thread above. As the x264 and mp4box(the one MeGUI used for mp4 container) are still under heavy development, they may contain some bugs.
    Quote Quote