VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD recorder is Memorex MVDR2102.

When I recorded the show from TV on DVD+R then I finalized the DVD and play it on TV. No closed caption? Same thing when I inserted DVD in my computer and still no CC, either. While I recorded, it did display CC.

I wondered is it problem with the DVD recorder or wrong kind of DVD?

What I really liked is recording any shows/movies on TV on DVD through DVD Recorder then it would be able to playback the video with CC.

Solution?

Thanks, D
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never even thought of a DVD Recorder recording subs or closed captioning. I have no idea if they are capable of doing it or not One thing I do know is:
    I wondered is it problem with the DVD recorder or wrong kind of DVD?
    It has nothing to do with the brand or type(+ or -) of DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not hearing-impared, though I still use CC at times to watch TV with the sound turned off. I am able to see the closed captions on programs recorded using my DVD recorder (Panasonic) without any trouble. All I have to do is turn on CC using the TV's menu, and if the show was closed captioned, they are visible.

If you have the CC function enabled on your TV, then perhaps your DVD recorder just can't capture them, which is somewhat more likely if it is not a big-name brand. Some capture cards for computers don't record the CC portion of the video signal, so it's possible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony DVD recorder/VCR units with model numbers like RDRVX515 and RDRVX535 also record closed captioning signals to DVD from TV signals that are closed captioned. The RDRVX555 probably also does this though I do not know for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Some recorders/players don't send the cc signal along.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just answered a CC question for someone else by searching the PDF manual for his recorder, that I just happened to have downloaded to my computer. It said that closed captions don't display on that recorder if progressive output is selected. Have you tried looking at that setting and turning it off, if it is on?

I have the predecessor of his model. The manual for my recorder says the same thing as his, and by coincidence, I don't use progressive output, and have had no problems seeing closed captions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Closed Captions not shown on recording:
    My cable box sends my Cable TV signal to my TV via S-Video cable.
    Same to my Pioneer DVR-640H-S DVD recorder to either the Hard-drive, or the DVD Disk burner.
    When playing back from the Hard-drive, through Component Video out using Progressive Video out the CC never showed.
    However since just visiting your Forum, I noted several replies stating Not to use Progressive, but instead use the Interlace Video out. Well it worked.\, all my programs stored on the Hard-drive have CC and it shows up as it should!
    Since I have worked most of my life in Heavy Industry, I am hard of hearing, so I always liked my CC. I have not yet copied from my Hard-disk to a DVD Disk, but I am sure the same would apply there. I will let you know when I do! Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a LG dvd-recorder with vhs model RC797T. I hooked up the usual three pronged output (1 video, L and R audio) of Dish DVR to input of the LG and used the progressive (3 cable R, G, and B) and audio (L R) output to my TV. CC is blocked from the LG dvds or the satellite signal. I called LG and they said Closed Captioning is analog and won't go through hi-def. I countered and said what about the DVD (forget about the satellite signal)? With another DVD player the captions come in fine using the same progressive output. She asks what company made that. I said Panasonic. This is at least four year model with the 5 CD carousel (great product by the way).
    I asked the service woman if this is some quirk with this model and she said yes. I said okay, it's still fresh from purchase so I will return it.
    I will try the latest panasonic DVD recorders and see if they can get analog signal from the DishDVR and still transmit CC through the component (progressive). I don't understand the logic as all channels of the satellite provider transmit the CC, even hi-def ESPN games for example.
    Quote Quote