VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okey dokey . . .
    After using Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 without any crashing at all (never crashed once), after I installed another IDE HD to perform as a dedicated Page File HD, now P/S/9.4.3 crashes constantly.
    Nothing else crashes on the machine. (you might recognize me from another thread with extremely long render times, installed dedicated Page File drive to (perhaps) help shorten render times )

hmmmm.... I also took out a .5 Gig RAM and installed 1 Gig of RAM (motherboard).

I also installed Hard Drive Tach to test the drives, and it runs fine.

So, does this situation sound familiar to anyone?
    I'll probably try to re-install Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 to resolve the problem.
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnacle, bro. Cease and desist with that app. It creates you grief. It's like a PITA girlfriend.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to the Pinnacle site and get any upgrades for Pinnacle 9
    I did and it solved a lot of problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Crashes are the reason that I no longer use Pinnacle Studio. The transitions are just not worth all the crashes and I've used all different versions of Studio 8 and Studio 9.

Thank God that both CDs came free with ATI video cards. I'd kick myself in the head if I purchased them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I am reading the comments something clicked in my mind . . . . we are on a web site devoted to discussing problems with PC based NLE . . .

I'm thinking if this problem is not easy to resolve, I may have to take a short cut past all PC NLE problems and buy Mac and use Final Cut . . . .

Thank you
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maxtrack - the problem isn't Windows in this case. What specific functionality does Pinnacle have that other similar apps don't? You had a simple encode take the better part of a week. That app isn't working for you.

Isn't moving to another hardware and software platform a bit drastic? Then again, it's your $.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    Crashes are the reason that I no longer use Pinnacle Studio. The transitions are just not worth all the crashes and I've used all different versions of Studio 8 and Studio 9.

Thank God that both CDs came free with ATI video cards. I'd kick myself in the head if I purchased them.
    But what program is out there that is as simple to use as Pinnacle 9?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    prior to the CRASH CRASH CRASH, I think I figured why the encode ran for a week, read and write to the same drive. I was about to test the hypothesis by running the same encode again from drive X to drive X+1 , and I had some results. I had the 9 day horror running in less than 20 minutes going from SATA source to IDE target. Thus if i can reinstall and go back to where I was I would be happy. My comment about going to a Mac is based on mostly live concersations where people have tried a lot of different PC NLE and eventually bought MACs and never looked back.

Sure, I could run some other apps, but the PC world does have a lot of quirks and while I enjoy trying to solve them and write detailed posts about what I did to fix it, I really should be spending the time producing final NLE results on DVD.

Thank you
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HA! The joke is on me, now the machine is crashing while doing defragmentation or simply doing nothing at all.

Now I am totally in the dark as to what the cause might be. I can't put everything back the way it was (before installing another hard drive) as I re-routed all the cables and don't recall how it was before. Oh boy, time for some challenging F-U-N (not)

~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I re-seated every connection I could find, including the RAM.
    Rebooted and things now seem stable again. Defrag is running without errors (so far).

~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very interesting . . . it looks like all my CRASH problems were due to some loose connection somewhere . . . . it looks like it had nothing to do with software.

Pinnacle Studio software seems very stable again, so I guess my thoughts about buying a MAC were premature hysterical over reactions.

~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
  12. Maxtrack, wierd how we are all so quick to blame somethine. Anyhow, I would also recommend doing a search for windows memory tester and just double check the integrity of your ram. Your initial description of your problem flagged hardware problem to me. Even a simple problem as something not seated correctly.

Studio 9.4.3 while it had some bugs, it was relatively stable on decent hardware. Studio 10 initially was buggy as hell but the release of 10.8 is pretty stable along with Studio 11.1. As other users have already shown their frustration with the product, I have since moved to Avid/Pinnalce Liquid 6 and 7 which are pretty rock solid. Anyhow, all the NLE's have left their users frustrated at times, so don't give up.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But what program is out there that is as simple to use as Pinnacle 9?
    I have both MGI Videowave III and 4 and although I've seen user complaints from these programs also, I haven't had them myself. I wouldn't call any of the Pinnacle programs easy to use when you go through all the trouble of editing the clips and putting in transitions only to have the program crash when you go to encode.

I don't really like any of the higher end programs that I've tried (Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere etc...). People claim that they are simple to use but I'd have to take a four year college coarse to learn how to use them. Way to frustrating for someone like me.

I use Virtualdub to do 99.9% of all my video editing now. With the new version, I can use Smart Render and the Curve Editor to get most of the effects I need. The only plus that these other programs have is fancy transitions. If anyone will ever come up with a true blend transition for Virtualdub then there will be no need for any other video editor. Well, I guess I'll still use TMPGEnc a lot but mainly for MPEG encoding, not editing.

Video Edit Magic is another cheap and simple program to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS, if you are willing to use AviSynth scripts in VirtualDub, you can use VC Mohan's filters for transitions (Transall.dll) and special effects (EffectsMany.dll)

Available for download from
    http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/

I'm still on the lookout for VirtualDub vdf filters that will do that.

I'm a recovering Studio 9 user myself, and do still use it very occasionally for little quick projects. But much happier with VDub and Avisynth.
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stumbled into using Pinnacle Studio 9 Quick Start through the purchase of hardware to convert analogue video to digital (AVI file on hard disk). I had used XP 'movie maker' to do some editing, and it has a few functions P.S.9 Q.S. did not have, but when I wanted to burn DVDs, I started using P.S.9 Q.S. and found it worked pretty well for what I needed to do.

I did try using Virtual Dub to extract 20 min from an 1hr 40 min (22.5 Gb) AVI file, and while it did do it, the 20 min of output AVI was a larger file than the original source. That made no sense to me.

At the moment P.S. 9 Q.S. is stable and will probably do what I want to do just fine, however I will eventually need to move to software that can do more professional work, and at the moment anyone doing professional quality work is on a Mac using Final Cut. Example: All the Lord of the Rings movies were done on a Mac using Final Cut. Yes, it will require a significant $ investment, but my intention is to earn $ with the results.

~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt if it was a loose connection...and if it was, it willl come back. You need a stable machine.
    Chances are it was interfeering with something else. For example, my editor became unstable with an antivir update. One way to determine whats going on is to remove each program one at a time (or add them one at a time if reformatting) to see which is the troublemaker.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I left the machine running defragmentation over night and it was still alive this morning. It was rock solid stable, had never crashed since I built the machine until I installed more RAM and another Hdrive. I probably did not need the RAM, but hey, now there is 1 Gig available. The extra Hdrive was to allow a dedicated Page File Hdrive. Maybe I didn't need that either, but now I have it.

The reason I think it was a loose connection is I had removed all the drives and re-installed them to clean up the routing of IDE ribbons and SATa cables, and I added a fan to bring more air into a cabinet with 5 spinning Hdrives. When I went looking for loose stuff I found a couple of things that seemed to be not quite fully seated, thus I concluded the crashes were due to vibration causing a moment of disconnect.

Time will tell the tale,
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS, if you are willing to use AviSynth scripts in VirtualDub, you can use VC Mohan's filters for transitions (Transall.dll) and special effects (EffectsMany.dll)
    I'm not very experienced with Avisynth. I use the basic open file in VDub but not much else. I did download the filter package that you mentioned a while back but couldn't get anything to work.

The problem with Avisynth for me is that you have to recode the whole movie since you're using filters. With the new version of VDub, you can use blend in the fill filter and use the curve editor to fade in and out of black or use the box bur filter and curve editor to blur in and out but so far, no-one has come up with a true disolve transition filter that will work with VDub.

Using Smart Render in the new VDub, you only recode where the transitions are at and everything else is direct stream copied.

If I really have to have a fancy transition then I'll use Videowave or install Studio 8 or 9 and use it until it crashes and then I'll uninstall it again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ DarrellS, if you are interested still, check my post at LINK
    VirtualDub forum about ExoticFade.vdf VirtualDub plugin.
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote