VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What software do you generally use to demux an mkv file?

I have a .mkv file containing an WMV3 stream and AC3+DTS audio tracks. I tried opening it in VirtualDubMod but when trying to save the new file I get the error "video frame 0 could not be read from the source. The file may be corrupt."

I want to do make it an ordinary .avi so I can play it in Windows Media Player and use my own subtitle file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you really want to demux everything, use MKVExtractGUI (and be sure to install mkvtoolnix to the directory to which you installed MKVExtractGUI).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. That worked, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have a problem demuxing an HD video (wvc1,1920 by1080) from a mkv file.
    i tried MKVExtractGUI with mkvtoolnix but i can't find the avi file the program is supposed to create , i only found instead an empty txt file .

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, what a useless tool. Wanted to extract an mpg and flac from an mkv, all it would do is tell me it couldn't extract that. What the hell use is a tool that can't extract basic standard formats? Thanks for wasting my time with this garbage.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Better to start your own thread with asking for newer tools rather than relying on a 6 year old thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    But this is the thread a google search leads to. I hate bs like this clogging up google with useless info, so I updated it. If you'd like to offer a suggestion of what would help for those googling how to demux an mkv file, why not update the thread?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it seems as if when mkvtoolnix updates, it often breaks compatibility with the MKV extraction programs designed to work with it. But, yeah, this is a somewhat old thread, and MKVExtractGUI hasn't been updated in a long time, unfortunately.

Two options you might currently try are gMKVExtractGUI and MKVcleaver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    gmkvextractgui did the trick. Although, the mpg it extracted, while it will play in a player, will not import in sony vegas pro 10.0. But then again, Sony Vegas Pro 10.0 rarely does anything right.....would be nice if the idiots at sony could figure out how to program something to recognize a basic standard format like mpg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't tried Vegas, so I probably wouldn't be of much help. If you didn't create that MKV, though, you might run the extracted mpeg through a utility like MediaInfo, and see if it actually reports the video as being an MPEG video, as opposed to a different-format video (like a VOB file, for example) that the video creator might have renamed for whatever reason.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've found that I can create a dvd using the mpg, and then rip an mpg from the created dvd, and that will open with vegas. Not sure why vegas is so picky about what mpgs it will open.
    Quote Quote