VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

My DVD player has component out, so with a component DVI adapter I could hook it up to a computer monitor. But I'm afraid this won't work because DVDs output is 480i or 480p and computer monitors don't support such a low resolution. Am I right about this, and if so is there a way around it? If anyone else has actually hooked up their DVD player to a computer monitor I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD players output 480i/480p YPbPr at 59.94 clock. Most computer monitors accept RGBHV over analog VGA or digital DVI and like higher clock. SD video pixels aren't square. VGA and DVI pixels are so square they will never be invited to a party.

A box in the middle needs to explain how they make the conversion. We haven't yet even talked about aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response.

So I would need some kind of a conversion box? What is this box called exactly, and about how much do they cost? And I would be trying to play it on a widescreen monitor. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pobasted
    Thanks for the response.

So I would need some kind of a conversion box? What is this box called exactly, and about how much do they cost? And I would be trying to play it on a widescreen monitor. Thanks.
    A computer monitor isn't a TV and has only RGB input. The "box" would need take analog component in and convert to VGA RGB. This would produce a small 854x480 image at your LDC monitor native resolution. An LCD-TV would take analog component in and upscale to the panels native resolution.

Most people play DVDs on the computer for display on a computer monitor. The display card decodes MPeg2 and outputs scaled RGB to the monitor.
    Quote Quote