VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have downloaded ffmpegX and am trying to convert .mp4 to .flv on a Mac G5 with osx10.4
    The problem is that when I put the desired .mp4 file in, it says that it is unrecognized. I try to encode it, but it just creates a blank document. I think that I have properly installed the extensions necessary, but I could be wrong. Any tips? Or any ideas for an easier way to convert to .flv? Thanks!
    ~Amber
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amberayoder
    I think that I have properly installed the extensions necessary, but I could be wrong.
    If the self-installer window does not come up after launching ffmpegX, then the binaries were installed correctly.

it says that it is unrecognized
    Try to get codec information on this file through other means, e.g. VLC (open the Information window, then More Information, then open the streams; it should list the codecs used) or an other player that lists details.
    If ffmpeg can't decode the file, but mplayer can (try the Play button), then you could transcode with mencoder first, to make a more compatible file.

Or any ideas for an easier way to convert to .flv?
    Upload source to video sharing site such as YouTube, that convert anything that comes in to flv, then download again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a similar problem using the ffmpegx software except when i drop andy file in the source format the target format creates and file with multiple extensions i.e. racewrsweb.mov.ff.flv

How can I fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aspenmike
    the target format creates a file with multiple extensions
    ffmpegX does that for every conversion by default. You could specify a filename with proper extension in the Save As button, to prevent that.
    It seems much easier to delete 7 characters from the output name, though...
    Quote Quote