VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking mainly for speed, not really that big on quality, as long as it's not horrifyingly bad. Or could someone suggest another format that's equally or more efficient in size?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only RV9EHQ encoder is from Real, so any app that you use is going to be using the exact same encoder. AVC I would say is more efficient than RV9EHQ, however I couldn't say if that applies at high speed settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks......any other format that's efficient in size that's escaping my mind right now?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why RMVB ? AFAIK very few devices besides a PC will use it ? to most people quality means more than file size.

why compress it and save it if the quality is going to suffer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Space/size and bandwidth (in terms of transferring over a network), primarily. That's why Real formats initially became popular, IIRC.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard
    why RMVB ? AFAIK very few devices besides a PC will use it ? to most people quality means more than file size.

why compress it and save it if the quality is going to suffer
    Well I'm gonna be uploading some videos to a community that actually has rules on this, and I have to conform to those rules.

Anything else besides RMVB that will make the file size roughly the same?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    WMV does fairly well. Xvid or Divx is more universal. MPEG-1 also, but the file size will generally be larger. You can find more compact formats, but they take a fair amount of computer power and time to encode and decode and are not very universal.

With highly proprietary formats like Real and Quicktime you mostly have to use their encoders with their settings.

What are those 'community rules'? That would make suggesting a format much easier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try WinMPG Video Converter
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try Any Video Converter 2.06. It's free and I'm pretty sure it supports rmvb files. Haven't used it myself though...but seems like a good little program.
    Quote Quote