VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I get a message from TMPG dvd author that at least 256MB is required and not available on my current set-up.

The installation booklet for my motherboard says:
    This motherboard has two 168-pin DIMM sockets that allows you to install PC100 or PC133 memory upto 1.0GB
    Here are 2 screenshots from AIDA32 diagnostic tool to provide all the necessary info on the motherboard and memory:
    Motherboard Info, Memory Info

Since I would like to use memory thirsty progs such as Ulead video editor and graphics like adobe photoshop and illustrator, I would like to know how to max out my memory capacity to 1.0GB. Is it the case that 2 PC133 512MB memory sticks would 'overshoot the runway'? I know that HD memory is never exactly as it says on the box due to slight difference between decimal and binary values, ie: a 250GB HDD is shows as approx 237GB.

So will 2 512MB sticks fit? And can anyone give any recommendations for buying in UK and Ireland, and also any extra specs I should watch out for so there's no conflicts with my set-up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2 512mb sticks will fit. The PC133 would be the one's to get, but the pc100 might be alittle cheaper.....Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Any particular brands that you would recommend that are reasonably priced and reliable to run?

Or rather, is there any I should avoid like the plague?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect for PC133 you may to simply take what you can get. I'm not sure it is even manufactured any more. If you can, look for Kingston or Corsair.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you list your computer details as athlon 1800? but the board you list is for pentium3 or celeron.

for pc mem of that era i always preferred mushkin. in the us any that you can still find is about $100 for 1 GB. for about $150 you could update the whole system with cpu motherboard and 1 GB of pc3200 ram.

just built one for a friend with celeron 420 conroe, gigabyte m.b. and GB ram. would be at least 10 times faster than your old one.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's starting to look like any of the recommendations to boost my memory will be approx €130 for 2 512MB 133PC.

The idea of replacing the lot for only a bit more does sound a lot better alright. But re: your $150 claim, it seems to me that I'd have to be picking the cheapest generic components to stay inside a price range like that. And all the advice I've read so far says that going down that road, you'd save yourself all the hastle by buying a cheap pre-built pc with the same cheap components.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all good name brands - from newegg.com ~ US $150

GIGABYTE GA-8I865GME-775-RH-AS LGA 775 intel chipset onboard video and audio

Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

depending on the age and design of your power supply you may need to replace it also. if you've never built one it could be a hassle.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Goto autdirect.co.uk barebones systems.. they have a few Athlonx2 systems that would spank your system. There are other prebuilt system makers but most either add too much or include too little
    http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Athlon_64_X2_Barebone.html#aBBX23800
    I have no connection with aut but they are the 1st ones that came to mind
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote