VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older HP 7955 that I would like to use as a second pc. I wanted to do a clean install of all the drivers programs, etc. I went to HP online to purchase the recovery discs but they no longer sell them because it is older than 3 yrs. I found a few third party sites that seel them, put I'm hesitant to not get burned. Does anyone know of a quality site to buy HP recovery discs from?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. A quick look at HP's site doesn't show any special drivers for that system -- assuming a Windows XP install -- besides the modem. That tells me that it shouldn't need any special HP drivers and you can just install your PC with a plain XP configuration.

Is it that your PC came pre-installed with other programs (e.g. MS Word or Works, CD burning software) and you're hoping to just do a simple recovery from a single source? If so, frankly I think you'd be better off doing scratch build because there are so many updates since whenever this machine came out that you'll be patching the restored version for days to get it all updated, much cleaner to build from a standard XP disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might also do a Google search for ' driver backup software '. You can extract your installed drivers and save them on disc for using after a re-install of Windows. I have also used a program like SIW that identifies the names of your motherboard and hardware devices to make it easier to find new drivers. http://www.gtopala.com/

I wouldn't bother with restore discs either. As mentioned, you would just end up with a outdated OS and drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try restoredisks.com. I'm guessing you're worried about not having to activate XP, or being able to use the XP sticker on the pc. I've had good luck with a few of their compaq sets. They have them for $35. Drivers should still be found on the HP site.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    older hp's have at the boot screen boot options F2 bios F10 for system restore F12 for a hp menu for for some system tools. there copy of xp oem is on a hidden partition, you lose every thing on the drive and have to reinstall all personal appications.
    Quote Quote  
  6. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kosz
    older hp's have at the boot screen boot options F2 bios F10 for system restore F12 for a hp menu for for some system tools. there copy of xp oem is on a hidden partition, you lose every thing on the drive and have to reinstall all personal appications.
    So if I were to us a hard drive erasure like dban would this F10 system restore still be there?

So it would look like it did when i took it out of the box. Meaning I'd need to update everything, and reload my personally installed apps.
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  7. I believe you can create your own recovery disk from your existing computer. Do a internet search. Heres what I found:

Create an ASR Floppy Disk
    The following steps can create an ASR floppy disk from an ASR backup operation: 1. Format a 1.44 megabyte (MB) floppy disk and insert the disk into the floppy disk drive of the computer.
    2. In System Tools, start the Backup program. When the Backup and Restore Wizard is displayed, click Next.
    3. Click Restore Files and Settings, and then click Next.
    4. In the What to Restore dialog box, select the media that contains the ASR backup. Ensure that the media is inserted.
    5. Expand the Automated System Recovery Backup Set that corresponds to the ASR floppy disk that you want to create.
    6. Expand the second instance of the drive letter that contains the system files. Expand the Windows_folder/Repair folder.
    7. Click the following files from this repair folder: Asr.sif and Asrpnp.sif, and then click Next.
    8. At the Completing Backup or Restore Wizard screen, click Advanced.
    9. At the Where to Restore screen, set the Restore Files to: dialog box to Single Folder, and then set the Folder Name dialog box to the root of your floppy drive, for example, "A:\".
    10. Click Next. The other options in this wizard are optional and do not affect the transfer of files to the floppy disk. When the wizard is finished, the files are copied to the location that you had previously specified. The ASR floppy disk is ready for use in the event of an ASR restore operation.

NOTE: The Asr.sif and Asrpnp.sif files must reside on the root of the floppy disk drive to be used during a ASR restore operation.
    Quote Quote