VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Many times, TV shows cut QUICKLY from a program to a commercial and back again. I am removing commercials and making a DVD of the show (one copy, US law).

Anyway, when I choose a chapter where I want to start watching on playback, the action starts quickly.

Is there any place I can get black video with no sound? I would like to insert a second or so of silence before the program starts, then mark the chapter start carefully with DVD authoring software.

If there is a fraction of a second between the show and the commercial, many times there will be sound echoing in the speakers. If I "loop" that, it will be distracting.

Is there footage of silence out there that is NOT copyrighted? Is there a program (C++ or whatever) that will generate black frames? How would I create the sound of silence? If the results were .MPEG and .AC3 files, it would be easiest to work with, but if not, I'll adapt.

Any way to make the chapters begin more slowly?

REMEMBER: 1. Preserve Nature. 2. Always wear a helmet.
    3. Ride safely. 4. Read owners manual carefully before riding.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Like this?

black.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  3. Using silence in a recording is a copyright violation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cage

John Cage's publishers later sued Mike Batt for having created a track on his album, Classical Graffiti, with one minute of silence. The track was named "A One Minute Silence" and credited to John Cage. An out of court settlement was reached, with Batt paying a six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Better make it 59.9 seconds of silence then
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Using silence in a recording is a copyright violation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cage

John Cage's publishers later sued Mike Batt for having created a track on his album, Classical Graffiti, with one minute of silence. The track was named "A One Minute Silence" and credited to John Cage. An out of court settlement was reached, with Batt paying a six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust.
    Absolutely ******* ridiculous.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you're really concerned with copyright you might want to be aware that recording a TV program and then archiving it for multiple viewings is not legal. At least thats my understanding, you have the right to record then view it once.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    # from the Avisynth manual
    # produces a black clip (3000 frames, width 720, height 576, framerate 25), with a silent audio track (16 bit 44.1 kHz stereo):
    BlankClip(length=3000, width=720, height=576, fps=25, color=$000000)

--
    voodle
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well , for copyright , we have a bigger headache .

http://www.efa.org.au/Publish/efasubm-agd-fairuse2005.html

About a third down is Fair dealing exceptions generally

As noted :

In EFA's opinion, the fair dealing exceptions have failed to provide appropriate balance between the interests of copyright holders and copyright users.

One of the most obvious failings is the illegality of "time shifting" and "format shifting" in Australia.

As acknowledged by the issues paper,13 it is currently illegal in Australia to copy music from a legitimately purchased Compact Disc (CD) onto an MP3 player, or an Apple iPod, or indeed to copy music onto any device in any format. Likewise, it is illegal to record a television broadcast (whether using a Video Cassette Recorder, or newer technology such as DVD recorders or TiVo type devices) to view at a later time.

These restrictions are contrary to the reasonable expectations of Australian consumers. Indeed, we believe that the vast majority of Australians are unaware that these uses of copyright material are illegal.

Australians have a legitimate interest in being able to time-shift and format-shift legitimately obtained copyright material, and the exceptions currently provided do not protect this interest.

----

Just to confuse the problem :

Who owns the copyright of a recording I make of myself playing a game ? , wether it be played on a pc , ps2 , xbox360 , or other ... yes you mac users .

Technically , the company that produced the game .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is a very old document, and a number of those issues have been addressed recently or are in pending legislation. The catch - they are part of the supporting legislation required for the FTA with the US, which means incorporating some of the poorer aspects of copyright (extending copyright periods etc). I don't have the link on this machine, but will post one tomorrow to a good summary of the current copyright laws in Australia.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bjs wrote:
    Who owns the copyright of a recording I make of myself playing a game ? , wether it be played on a pc , ps2 , xbox360 , or other ... yes you mac users .
    Be aware that very often multiple different copyrights are involved. If you record a song I've written there'll be the music rights, the performance rights and the recording rights. On this basis if the company that produced the game wanted to use your recording of you playing the game they'd need to clear the performance and recording rights with you.

--
    voodle
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Current copyright laws are simply stupid, insane, or both.

===
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs

Most, or all, of the graphics will have been designed by artists working for the game company. The specific arrangement of them as you play it is perhaps a "derived work". So the copyright of that does not belong wholly to either party (player or game company), and neither party could, strictly, publish it without permission of the other.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    So the copyright of that does not belong wholly to either party (player or game company), and neither party could, strictly, publish it without permission of the other.
    This is the same problem that puts many DVD releases in "rights hell" as the term has been coined. Properties are joint owned by companies that either hate each other, or one wants to be too greedy, thus nothing happens to the property.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman
    If you're really concerned with copyright you might want to be aware that recording a TV program and then archiving it for multiple viewings is not legal. At least thats my understanding, you have the right to record then view it once.
    I see that you have fallen for the MPAA's b.s. because that is EXACTLY what they want you to think. The US Supreme Court ruled in the so-called Betamax Decision
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax_decision
    that time shifting (that's what recording TV shows is) is legal in the USA. They put no limits on the number of times you could watch.

Depending on your recording device (I'm thinking of Tivo type boxes here), some programs MAY have limits on how many times you can watch them that the recording device MAY respect, but as I don't have any of those type devices, I can't comment on that with any certainty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, read the Betamax decision again. It very clearly states that time-shifting is limited to a one time later viewing. Watching it multiple times or keeping it for an extended period time is considered library building, and the court explains why this is not Fair Use. That was the whole point of the decision, whether you can hold a manufacturer liable when some people use the product legally (Time-shifting) and some use it illegally (library building.)

Two kinds of Betamax usage are at issue here. The first is “time-shifting,” whereby the user records a program in order to watch it at a later time, and then records over it, and thereby erases the program, after a single viewing. The second is “library-building,” in which the user records a program in order to keep it for repeated viewing over a longer term. SONY CORP. v. UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS, INC
    The first use, time-shifting, the Court held was a fair use (and hence not infringing) because it enlarged the audience for the program. The copying involved in the second use, library-building, was unquestionably infringing to the extent that the programs copied were under copyright and the taping of them was not authorized by the copyright owners. In re Aimster Copyright Litigation, Interpreting the Betamax ruling.
    By definition, time-shift recording entails viewing and erasing. SONY CORP. v. UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS, INC.
    Quote Quote