VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having problems backing up my videos. All my videos (Xvid/Divx) are about 700MB and I burn six of them on Sony 16X DVD+R disks. Must of the time I don't have problems, but now I'm starting to notice more "errors". When I say "errors", I mean when I load the disk after its burnt, explorer starts freezing or the movies on the disk won't create thumbnails.

btw, I use Nero 6.6 to burn and Nero never reports any burn errors.

Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might check 'Do not cache thumbnails' in 'Folder Options>Views' to see if that helps with Explorer. Explorer usually only has problems with corrupted files.

Nero usually does OK with DVD data files. But you might try ImgBurn instead. I'll assume that the problem videos aren't the last on the DVD. If they are it may be a media problem instead. You could transfer one of the problem videos to your hard drive and see if it behaves the same. If it works properly, then it may be a problem with the media or the burner or DVD player. Also try playing one of the DVDs on a different computer.

And you might try a different brand of DVD media, 'just in case'.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Yes the problem videos are the last on the DVD. It could be that I'm trying to burn a little more than the DVD can fit, I try burning 5 videos instead of 6 and see if that makes a difference. And can ImgBurn burn avi files?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ImgBurn can burn data files. But Nero does it well enough, unless you have a older version of Nero that doesn't work well with your burner. I use Nero most times for data files.

If your media is the problem, don't use all of the space. The area towards the outer edge of cheaper media can cause problems. But better brands of media are worth the few pennies more they usually cost and you should be able to use all the space.

At present Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are considered among the best media for DVDs. Sony may be OK, but many media companies have their media made by different manufacturers, so quality may vary. For good media information: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You can also look your media up in 'DVD Media' to the left on this page. Follow the directions to get the manufacturers media code for the best info on your specific media. There are also user comments that may give some information about the media you are presently using.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    ImgBurn can burn data files. But Nero does it well enough, unless you have a older version of Nero that doesn't work well with your burner. I use Nero most times for data files.

If your media is the problem, don't use all of the space. The area towards the outer edge of cheaper media can cause problems. But better brands of media are worth the few pennies more they usually cost and you should be able to use all the space.

At present Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are considered among the best media for DVDs. Sony may be OK, but many media companies have their media made by different manufacturers, so quality may vary. For good media information: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You can also look your media up in 'DVD Media' to the left on this page. Follow the directions to get the manufacturers media code for the best info on your specific media. There are also user comments that may give some information about the media you are presently using.
    Is there a character limit on the filename that are burned on the DVD? And what stores can I get theses DVDs in California and how much does it cost?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero in 'DVD-ROM (ISO)' mode is 8 characters plus a 3 letter extension or level 2 has a 31 character limit. But just for most use, I would stick with the shorter limit. Nero will warn you and change long filenames, so that's really not a problem.

Taiyo Yuden are mostly from mail order, though Verbatim should be available locally in stores like Best Buy, Outpost or other electronics chain stores. I get TY 8X R- from Rima for about $ .27 each in lots of 100, so not really that expensive. A few good mail order sources:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

http://www.supermediastore.com

http://www.meritline.com/

And those aren't the only brands of good DVD discs. Others work very well. You just have to avoid the problem ones. And it's not always the disc at fault. The burner, the disc and the player and slightly the burning program all have to be compatible with each other. The main thing is, if you think the media may be the problem, try some other brands.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to buy these DVDs when I run out.
    Quote Quote