VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im editing and mpeg file and then converting it to wmv to upload to Youtube.
    The original file is 720x480 and the converted file should be 352x288 but for some reason I get a black border around the viewing are making the actual viewing size much smaller.

Here is the file Im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPlSkpMYUEM

It doesnt matter what I try and convert it to I get the same thing, Ive tried mpeg1 etc but no luck.

Any ideas why this could be happening?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like it has come from 16:9 source, so you will get black bars top and bottom when converting to 352 x 288. I am also curious as to why you would go from NTSC source to PAL VCD resolution, especially when YouTube's actual required resolution is much closer to NTSC VCD anyway. Are you sure your source is 720 x 480 ? It should be 720 x 576.

Final comment - without you posting anything at all about the tools or method you have used to convert the video so far, there is no possible way to tell you what you are doing wrong, or how to change it. I know that any method I would use would produce a correct resizing, but that doesn't help you fix your method. Give us some useful detail to work from.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay as per another post Ive recently posted under newbie conversion I downloaded an mpeg4/mov file but couldnt get it to open in Ulead to edit it. With the help of a member of this forum I managed to convert it using avisynth haali media splitter and opening it in tmpgenc and saving the video file from avisynth but the audio from the original file. I saved it as 16.9 PAL. Firstly because my screen is 16:9 and as PAl because I live in Australia so Ive set Ulead to work with PAl as well.

The original file according to gspot is 720x480 and I edited it then saved it as a wmv file first of all at 352x288, I also tried PAL mpeg1 and PAL mpeg2.

I think the problem was when I first encoded the faulty mov/mpeg4 file using tmpgenc and the avs file I created with avisynth. If I redo this procedure but choose 4.3 instead should that fix things?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post your avisynth script and the g-spot of the original source file

Secondly, YouTube recommends 320 x 240, so that is what I'd shoot for.

The border is coming either from your avisynth script, or from Ulead. if it is the script it should be easy to fix. If it's Ulead then you need to start reading the manual.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know its not ULEAD as ive worked with lots of mpeg files before in ULEAD and they all come out full size in the finished file and in Youtube.

I cant seem to get gspot to export the file details. It gives me an error message and disables exporting no matter what export option I choose and I also tried to different versions of gspot as well.

Here is my avisynth script
    DirectShowSource("E:\stkvhwk1.mp4",fps=25,audio=tr ue)

Heres is what I copied from Gpsot

CONTAINER
    isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
    - avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]
    Recommended Display Size: 576 x 320
    Created: 2007 Jul 22 01:29:32
    Modified: 2007 Jul 22 01:29:32

AUDIO
    CODEC: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
    INFO:48000Hz 96 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

VIDEO
    CODEC:avc1
    NAME:H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

LEN:1:17:08
    FRMS:115,694
    KBPS:1009
    Qfs:0.219
    pic (w x :576 x 320

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth isn't resizing, so you can rule that out.

It is widescreen, so you will get some borders (top and bottom) when you try to fit it into a 4:3 frame (YouTube/VCD are 4:3.

Are the borders in the video that Ulead outputs ?

If so, it is Ulead causing your problem and you will have to look at your settings.

If the borders don't appear until after YouTube resizes and re-encodes then it is YouTube causing your problem.

You can just post a screenshot of g-spot, rather than export from it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    If the borders don't appear until after YouTube resizes and re-encodes then it is YouTube causing your problem.
    sounds highly unlikely.

i hear tmpg and that's where i'd say the borders were introduced.
    a wrong resize in tmpg.

hard to keep track of your process.

drag your script into vdubmod.
    make your cuts using vdubmod, take ulead out of the equation,
    don't resize,
    select xvid compression for video and mp3 for audio.
    use constant quant encoding (q=3), or set bitrate to something like 1200.

upload xvid/mp3 avi to youtube.

gl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It turns out it was a setting in Ulead. I dont know why it was ticked but soemthing about a tilte area around the picture.

Thanks again for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to drag my script into VDUBMOD but I had no audio thats why in TMPGENC I had to ad the audio from the original file.

Also I have to use Ulead becasue I do multiple trims in the same clip.
    Quote Quote