VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I have hunted around and am looking for the easiest way to do this.
    I have a movie with idx/sub files. ONE LINE OF DIALOG is whispered in the movie and I want it to be hard subbed on the avi file so as to not have to turn on the subs, watch the one line, then turn off the subs.
    Is there a program that goes thru the idx/sub files and finds out what subs the source dvd forcable turns on, and then hard code ONLY those subs to the video?
    I only want this ONE LINE of dialog subbed, not the whole file.

Note: vobsub wont install, but i did get the VSfilter.vdf thing to load.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Create a .SRT file that contains only the text you want to hardsub:

Example:

00:01:03,110 --> 00:01:05,550
    This is the line that I want to hardsub.

======================
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or, if that one line is really forced, open the IDX in Notepad, and scroll down from the top until you come to this line:
    # ON: displays only forced subtitles, OFF: shows everything
    forced subs: OFF
    And change the OFF to ON.

You can confirm that line is forced by opening the IDX in SubResynch (comes with VobSub). To the right is a column saying "Forced". As you scroll down, any and all forced subs will be marked as such. You can also highlight each line of dialog and see what it is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cool guys, Here is what i ended up doing but maybe you have a better way
    i used divxland to make the sub files for the two lines (but that bit about finding forced subs will come in handy with the next project, a movie where all the bad guys speak a dif language and are subbed). I took the ssa file i made in divxland, loaded it in virtualdub with subtitler plugin, and then had to reencode the whole movie.
    i tried cutting the movie into 3 bits (before subs, subs, after subs) thinking i could only reencode that 30 seconds and then paste all 3 back together using direct stream, but it cannont append segments with different encodings (the original movie is some well encoded xvid with ac3) and when i tried it said i had incompatible data. This is gonna suck as the movie is cut into 2 1-hour long pieces and i wanted to reencode them into one 2 hour piece and now i cant without reencoding both hours.
    also, does the .divx container know how to handle FORCED subtitles, as in when i load up the .dvix movie, it will display the forced subs and none others? Then the question is, can you use surround sounds audio (ac3) in .divx container? And if you cannot then will there be a .xvid container that does allow ac3 audio?

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote