VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello,

i purchased Sony RDR-VX525 DVD Recorder / VCR Combo hoping to burn the old VHS recordings to new and more reliable DVD media. i connected it to my Sony Bravia V32XBR1 via HDMI cable. the 4:3 image of the recording got streached to 16:9 and was streached on the dvd, after i burned it. any combinations of tv and combo settings i tried didn't get it back to 4:3 rate.

i have the older Sony VHS player which shows the 4:3 recordings fine. i connected it to the Combo via a/v cord, and started playing the original VHS recodring, but the picture on tv also got streached. i am assuming the problem for me is not in the tv set, but in the Combo.

is there any way use my equipment and burn 4:3 imaged recordings on dvds, please? any settings combinations i can't think about?

appreciate your help,

yelena
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the video setup adjusted for the correct screen type? Most DVD players have an option in the menu where you set your screen type 4:3 or 16:9. If you have it set to 4:3, for example, and you TV is 16:9, then all of the content is stretched to fill the screen.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a sony for DVD conversion and I record 3:4 as 3:4, you maybe able to override this on you model but I doubt it. My model has problems recording in widescreen but I set the DVB input to 3:4 and squash using the TV settings (something like that but it works anyway!). I do seem to think that if a disk is formated using VR mode the widescreen setting is active but I always use Video mode. Just have another look at this it may have something to do with it.

I've been disappointed with the video conversions I've done, after the initial buzz and on closer inspection they show up lots of detail noise, which you'll find worse on your big screen. Sorry about that, good from DVB and the newer models maybe improved, I'd be interested to know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for your suggestions, will try to look at the system setup one more time. yelena
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello,
    want to report that i solved the settings problems with my new sony combo / sony wide screen tv to the desired result. the problem was in the video setting on the dvd recorder. it appeared that the 4:3 ratio only worked if i set the hdmi resolution to 480p, not higher. this change allowed me to adjust the view and the recording to the 4:3 original look.
    appreciate your help.
    yelena
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony like little quirks like that, their not the only ones though!
    generally very user friendly though the sony's, clean menu's
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a RDR - VX525 Sony DVD/VCR Recorder and every DVD R I put in gets a disk error. I can play DVDs but cannot put a blank one in to record or dubb a VCR tape. I am able to play DVD on it but not about to keep a blank disk in. I have tried all kings. DVD - R or + EVEN KEEP purchasing new one. If anyone has one of these and could help me I would apprecate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, you should be ok using even crappy brands as my Sony GX300 DVDRecorder was pretty easy going. That said I wouldn't recommend that any I now stick to Verbatum if possible. So if you've tried verbatum or another good brand (Sony branded inc) + or - and you still have problems it's either your not following the instructions or a fault.
    Do you understand about finalising a DVD-RW, -R, +R (+RW is done automatically) they should play on the origonal recorder without finalising though. Try giving more details of the disks you've tried ect.

Lastly if there is a problem with the recorder maybe consider a different one if you return it, reason I say is that I find my JVC DVDR/HDD model much better, and VCR>DVD dubs improved on many levels. I did find the Sony easy to use though.
    Quote Quote