VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 27" JVC standard TV with component inputs. Since both type of players have component out, will I be able to connect one of these players to my tv, and will I lose any features other than video quality?
    I will be getting a high def tv in the future.

TIA
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you can connect the PS3 to component - the cable is supplied with the PS3.

No, you won't lose any features.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that rhegedus' advice is ONLY for the PS3. Should you buy a standalone BluRay or HD-DVD player, you should expect to NOT SEE ANYTHING ON YOUR TV! I said that in all caps so you will not miss it. Standalone BluRay players output a 1080p signal. Standalone HD-DVD players will output either a 1080i or 1080p signal, depending on the player. Your standard def TV will vomit on a 1080i/p signal and be unable to display it.

Buy the HD TV first. Then buy the BluRay or HD-DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can adjust the component output on the Toshiba HD-A2 from 1080i down to 480i.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Note that rhegedus' advice is ONLY for the PS3. Should you buy a standalone BluRay or HD-DVD player, you should expect to NOT SEE ANYTHING ON YOUR TV! I said that in all caps so you will not miss it. Standalone BluRay players output a 1080p signal. Standalone HD-DVD players will output either a 1080i or 1080p signal, depending on the player. Your standard def TV will vomit on a 1080i/p signal and be unable to display it.
    Check out the specs for the Samsung BD-P1000 - component, composite and s-video output ensures that this can be used with any TV definition.

Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I stand corrected. Nice photo.

But more importantly, will such players convert high def DVD output to 480i or not? I'm willing to admit that they can play standard def DVD at 480i, but does anyone really know if they can or cannot convert HD-DVD or BluRay to 480i? If not, I'd think it kind of defeats the purpose of hooking one up to an SD TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't see why not - none are sold with warnings advising that Blu-Ray content isn't accessible to SD users.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I ended up getting the Toshiba-A2. Not high end, but it does what I need it to do until I have the $$$ to buy an hdtv.

One note: I had to hook it up with regular video cables so I could set the component out as "up to 480i", then hook it back up with component cables. The component out, for some reason, was set as 1080i, and I could not go into setup to change this.

I do have one other question about this model on another post since it relates to a different problem.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote