VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I have a question about the hd video format.

Let's say i have a movie in hd (high resolution) format on my computer. If i would try to convert that file into a dvd (video_ts) so that i could put it in my set top dvd player (not blue-ray), then i would loose the high resolution right? It would become an ordinairy low resolution dvd so to speak? This means that the only way to watch the movie in true high definition is to connect my computer to my HD tv via a hdmi cable?

Sorry if this question is stupid, but i'm just trying to understand this.

Thanks in advance for a informative answer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what an AppleTV is for.

You are correct that a video DVD is standard definition. But you'll get a picture that is equivalent to the quality you see from a widescreen DVD which is pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Think of it this way: You can record audio CDs onto cassettes, but you'll be limited by the latter. So, too, is the case with HD on DVD; you can certainly do it, but then the result is DVD, not HD.

Whether or not it is a "bad idea" depends on your criteria for "bad." If the goal was to preserve HD, then it is a bad idea.

If you want HD, you need HD gear. That includes an HD-capable display.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Think of it this way: You can record audio CDs onto cassettes, but you'll be limited by the latter. So, too, is the case with HD on DVD; you can certainly do it, but then the result is DVD, not HD.

Whether or not it is a "bad idea" depends on your criteria for "bad." If the goal was to preserve HD, then it is a bad idea.

If you want HD, you need HD gear. That includes an HD-capable display.
    Yes, that was what i suspected. Thanks for the info though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mauserman, if your dvd player can play divx files, (many do) you can transcode the HD content into a high def Divx file, and burn the file to a dvd. That way you preserve the image quality. I do agree with using appletv, it's the perfect situation for it but you need 802.11n network to handle the stream.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by zapter
    Mauserman, if your dvd player can play divx files, (many do) you can transcode the HD content into a high def Divx file, and burn the file to a dvd.
    There are very few Divx/DVD players that can play HD Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe a dvd set top player with support for mpeg4 h.264 with a hdmi connector would do it? But i have never seen such a player.

Well, eventually the blu-ray player's, and burner's will get cheaper. I remember when the cd-rom reader just arrived on the market, they where very expensive too. That was the case with the dvd-burner's too. I just have to be patient i guess, wich isn't my strongest side .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem, too. I want today's leading-edge toys at tomorrow's prices... I'm impatient, but cheap. Those two characteristics always struggle mightily...
    Quote Quote