VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just recently purchased the JVC GZ-HD7 camcorder and I'm having problems finding software programs that supports the .TOD file format that it uses. I assumed that I could just transfer the file into my editing software and produce a blu-ray or dvd project. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanx!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too also just purchased this same camera with the same expectation and I am experiencing the same problem, What I have found so far is that if I use the director software that was sent with the camera I can save the files in a format that I can then use Adobe Premier to edit and use the footage. I would like a simple solution to this problem. Would you please advise me if you have found a better solution.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As i wrote somewhere else here at VH, TOD is actually jvc´s name for the mpg format, due to coyright issues. Just change the file ext, to mpg..
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just tried this, and while renaming the file allows it to play in Windows Media Player, when you try to import it into Adobe Premier it says that the file format is damaged. I will try their software and saving the file. What a pain... My old JVC didn't have this problem...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh, and another lovely catch... The Cyberlink BD solution software is not natively Vista Compatible! You have to run the program as administrator to get it to even launch.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't fret folks, your investment is well worth it, the Everio is definitely a cool camera! I had the same problems that you are having and had to spend some time on the phone with a tech support rep at JVC and found the answer. I think there are multiple ways to upload files but a very easy way to do it is the following. It may seem tedious but once you learn it, it is basically a snap:

-Turn on pc
    -Connect Everio to pc with USB cable
    -Turn on Everio
    -See 2 choices on Everio screen, click 'Playback on PC'
    -Close any programs that will open automatically on your pc (I think PowerCinema, another program that comes with the Everio, opens but close this)
    -On pc open Power Director (PD) software that came with Everio
    -In PD, Click on the folder button (turns yellow on mouse over) in upper left corner of screen directly under 'Capture' button.
    -See dropdown menu click 'open media folder'
    -Look for drive that says EVERIO_HDD (K and open it
    -I guess it will depend on what you are doing and what you are uploading (either video or stills, file format, etc may be in various folders your Everio instruction manual can help you with this) but you can start by trying SD_VIDEO then PRG001 for vids and click 'OK' and that should get you going
    -Allow computer time to convert files and then you will see your files populate in the media viewer

From here you can use PowerDirector to edit video. However, if you would like to edit video in another program such as Premiere do the following to store them in a folder in Windows:

-In PD drag any files you want to transfer to the timeline then click the 'Produce' button at top of PD screen
    -A produce window opens with a number of options
    -To specify the folder you want to send the files to, see the button 'Output to' near lower left of window
    -On the right see 'Step 1' and 4 boxes, click the 'Create a File' box and click the green arrow below
    -Step 2 opens and choose file type, you can start with DV-AVI (select .avi) and click green arrow
    -Step 3 opens and click the green check mark at bottom
    -Allow the computer time to produce the movie and click the green check mark again after it is done.
    -Open the folder you have saved your files to see the files
    -Then open your video editing software such as Premiere and import the files

This should get you off and running. I am working on figuring out how to import directly into Premiere and will let you know when I find out, but using PD or Premiere to import files is pretty much 6 in one, half dozen in the other it seems to me.

Regards,
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have had the GZ-HD7 since August '07 and love it, but the TOD format has been a problem. At first I used the PowerCinema/Director OEM software, but as with all OEM SW, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I now use Ulead 11 Plus since the latest version/patch has native TOD support. This is very stable and easy to use video editing software. Even if you use Premier, it would be worth getting UL11+ just for the ease of file conversion to MPG.

I also use the command line program ffmpeg, which is freely available on the internet. This solution works on both my Win Vista and Fedora 6 Linux computers. The command I use is : ffmpeg -i myclip.TOD -acodec copy -vcodec copy myclip.mpg .

Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Life is so much easier when one buys into established standard formats.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. There is a simple way to do really fast TOD conversions. IT may come as a total surprise but it requires no great effort and uses the OEM bundle package as a filter to strip off the extra 4 bytes of unwanted information per frame.

http://www.benzmodz.com/jvc_workflow.htm

Look in the bottom half. Just a little trick I picked up along the way.

Using the little trick and USB transfer effectively cuts down prep time by 90% because you dont need to use the IEEE1394 (Firewire) bus and CBR1440 video as the mode of transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got the hd7 off ebay, but it never came with the oem software. can someone tell me where i can find(for free would be a big plus) it or if theres a way i can get the footy on my computer. i think ive tried everything
    ride.film.edit
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've just bought the Everio too, but when I transfer HD files to computer and change .tod extension to. mpg to play them, they go all distorted like some weird digital effect was turned on...
    They play perfectly on the HD7 itself... anybody else noticed this?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Kensington Chapp
    I've just bought the Everio too, but when I transfer HD files to computer and change .tod extension to. mpg to play them, they go all distorted like some weird digital effect was turned on...
    They play perfectly on the HD7 itself... anybody else noticed this?
    If you are using CANOPUS you can change the suffix to .m2p and import the files directly without conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks Barry.
    However I don't have Canopus, but I did try changing the file extension to .m2p, just gives me the same weird footage (appears like I don't have the correct codec or something... I use the latest VLC player).

Have you ever had this type of footage?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tod file converter JVC-GZ-HD7U Camcorder
    The solution is so easy
    Tod file conversion, download the ulead video studio 11.5 with the update other wise he will not work properly.http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/features.htm
    Run the program(ulead) go to Edit and on the right hand side of the screen you see icon of a folder open that and import your file (tod) when it's imported put it on the time line as well.
    Now to converter to any kind of format you wish is very easy.
    Open share icon right on the top next to audio icon and go to any format you wish to create.
    For me I use adobe premier pro I need 720X576 I do this method.
    I open in share folder the ---create video file-after I have lot of choose I select ---DV------after Pal (4:3) and I give name and destination (et voila)all done.
    Note:
    Please don’t use DV----Pal (16:9) it will stretch the footage to much
    When you import the file tod strait from your JVC will help to keep the same quality of your converted file.
    Enjoy
    farid --from Algeria

Quote Quote  
  15. Just for everybody's information, the problems I was having have now been rectified; being a dumbass, my graphics card hardware acceleration was switched off..... that, and the cards memory is like 32MB....
    Quote Quote  
  16. There's a lot of good help on here. Thanks alot.

I have an HD7 as well but waiting for my new notebook to arrive so I haven't yet tried any of this conversion stuff yet. What I do know is that it's causing a problem with a lot of people. Especially Mac users. I talked to the JVC rep and he basically told me that the HighDef quality is ahead of it's time and that no editing programs can yet manipulate the high def files. He was partially right and partially a LIER! Heres what I think he meant: No editing programs can yet directly use the tod file. They can indrectly use them by first converting them to an mpeg 4 or avi and THEN dropping them into an editing program. Now here is where everything gets really grey. Apparently when the tod files are converted they LOSE THEIR HIGH DEF QUALITY. Jeez I don't remember reading that warning on the box when I purchased it. Now like I said I havent acctually tried this all out myself yet so there is still hope. The JVC rep did mention something about "the only way that you can edit these files in high def is by purchasing an HD DVD player/writer and using the editing program that comes with it. Those programs will be able to read the tod files" My next question is, why the hell would i spend this much money on such a nice camera (ps this camera is AWESOME) and have to use a piece of crap editing program that probably is only meant for home video production, ex family outings and events.

I geuss what were really looking for is a program that can convert the TOD files withouth losing ANY quality.

AHHHHHH THERE IS HOPE I GUESS. I'll just have to keep researching.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Getting full-quality video from the HD7 is simple and free - and NO need for any OEM software or other expensive software - If you have your own favourite editing software, just make sure it can handle full HD 1920 x 1080i mpeg2 (or whatever your preferred resolution is).
    I have a three-stage workflow, but only two of the stages are really essential -
    Stage 1 - download all movie data (files & folders in 'SD_VIDEO') from HD7 via USB
    Stage 2 (Optional) - Rename files - I find e.g. 'MOV03A' in folder 'PRG007' not very helpful (also the 'hex' suffix (e.g. 03A) tends to confuse some sorting processes). Therefore I bulk rename using PFRANK (from http://www3.telus.net/pfrank/) this is all amatter of choice, but as an example I include Project name, shooting date & time (actually file date/time), and the original 'hex suffix' (just to allow any back-track) in the new name.
    Stage 3 - De-mux TOD file - the TOD file is an MPEG video file wrapped up in Transport Stream (TS) packet data. To remove the TS packet data I use MPEGStreamClip (from https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip) & QuickTime Alternative (needed by MPEGStreamClip) (from http://www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_alternative/?2615).
    Startup MPEGStreamClip and load the TOD files via List/BatchList and then select the 'Convert to MPEG with MP2 Audio' option, select the destination, and hey presto! - full-quality mpeg2 file(s).
    Since all that is happening is basic data transfer, there is no real CPU overhead and the speed of the process is limited only by the performance of your hard disk(s). I use 2 x SATA2 drives, one to contain the download from the HD7, and the other to receive the MPEGStreamClip output - and a very quick process as a result.
    Steve Mullen has produced an excellent HD7 guide which provides much more detail of the above workflow, and more besides - at http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHD7/index.html
    Regards
    Trevor
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or, if you get Ulead VideoStudio 11.5+ you can load and edit TODs without conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having used Jvc camcorders for over 25 yrs ,I never thought that getting my Videos to Drag and produce a (non static,uninterupted) could be so difficult!!!. I have done everything that a man can do, without spending 1000.00 more dollars, New updated motherboard,new video card, new processor(intellCore2 duo),500 gb external drive, 2gb memory. Downloaded videos play ok on the media player (now that Ive Stopped recording in hdd), however, they cannot be (copied and edited ) without the interuptions. I feel that Ive spent enough money on this project already and I'm looking for the free way, To aquire any downloads anybody knows of. Please help me before all of my Hair is gone
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi Russellh, Your setup looks OK to handle HD video - but just a question around the type of HDD - can you provide a bit more info on the HDD interface you are using i.e. eSATA or USB(1.0 or 2.0) - that is possibly the bottleneck causing the symptoms you describe. To handle full-HD video in the way you are expecting does really require a SATA2 (3.0GB/s) HDD & interface - otherwise your setup should manage OK - mine is very similar, and I have good performance with full-HD, although the video files do take a 'few seconds' to load into my editing program (Pinnacle 11).
    Regards
    Trevor
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trevor.... Thanks for the quick responce, Your right on the money. After reading all the reveiws here about this problem, I simply went back in to change a couple of settings. I uninstalled all of my studio's software , And reinstalled it in my 500g external hard drive ,thus alowing captures,importing and exporting to flow freely. Now I can enjoy the jvc EVERIO HDD, Just like it should be. If it wasnt for the post I hade previously read, And a lot of help from my brother(tech support), I would have probaly returned the Camcorder.........Again Thanks for your Enlightenment.......Russ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Russellh
    Trevor.... Thanks for the quick responce, Your right on the money. After reading all the reveiws here about this problem, I simply went back in to change a couple of settings. I uninstalled all of my studio's software , And reinstalled it in my 500g external hard drive ,thus alowing captures,importing and exporting to flow freely. Now I can enjoy the jvc EVERIO HDD, Just like it should be. If it wasnt for the post I hade previously read, And a lot of help from my brother(tech support), I would have probaly returned the Camcorder.........Again Thanks for your Enlightenment.......Russ
    A quick observation on your solution for others reading this. It isn't necessary to install the full editing application to the 2nd hard drive. What you need to do is set the temp file directory (found in preferences or project settings) and capture directory (in the capture settings) to the second drive. This is true for most any editing program including Premiere, Vegas, ULead Video studio, etc.

Consumer programs like P Studio and UL Video Studio default all video to the My Documents - Video directory. Change that default to the second drive or do like I do and move your entire "MyDocuments" folder to a drive other than the OS drive. This has the added benefit of keeping all your application backup data off the OS drive and also separates data operations like capture from OS processes.

It is still necessary to direct temp files to the second drive. Make a directory like "Pinnacle temp files" on the second drive and make that the temp directory in preferences.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by mattoct
    Getting full-quality video from the HD7 is simple and free - and NO need for any OEM software or other expensive software - If you have your own favourite editing software, just make sure it can handle full HD 1920 x 1080i mpeg2 (or whatever your preferred resolution is).
    I have a three-stage workflow, but only two of the stages are really essential -
    Stage 1 - download all movie data (files & folders in 'SD_VIDEO') from HD7 via USB
    Stage 2 (Optional) - Rename files - I find e.g. 'MOV03A' in folder 'PRG007' not very helpful (also the 'hex' suffix (e.g. 03A) tends to confuse some sorting processes). Therefore I bulk rename using PFRANK (from http://www3.telus.net/pfrank/) this is all amatter of choice, but as an example I include Project name, shooting date & time (actually file date/time), and the original 'hex suffix' (just to allow any back-track) in the new name.
    Stage 3 - De-mux TOD file - the TOD file is an MPEG video file wrapped up in Transport Stream (TS) packet data. To remove the TS packet data I use MPEGStreamClip (from https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip) & QuickTime Alternative (needed by MPEGStreamClip) (from http://www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_alternative/?2615).
    Startup MPEGStreamClip and load the TOD files via List/BatchList and then select the 'Convert to MPEG with MP2 Audio' option, select the destination, and hey presto! - full-quality mpeg2 file(s).
    Since all that is happening is basic data transfer, there is no real CPU overhead and the speed of the process is limited only by the performance of your hard disk(s). I use 2 x SATA2 drives, one to contain the download from the HD7, and the other to receive the MPEGStreamClip output - and a very quick process as a result.
    Steve Mullen has produced an excellent HD7 guide which provides much more detail of the above workflow, and more besides - at http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHD7/index.html
    Regards
    Trevor
    mattoct, thanx for this post.
    I just bought a JVC Everio HD7, but I'm facing problems, and think I'm gonna return in..
    Please I would love to hear you opinion on my "problem": https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348002.html
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi Tumbo, The HD7 is a good camcorder - stick with it ! There's no such thing at the the moment as the perfect HD camcorder - there are 'pluses and minuses' with all of them.
    What you do need to ensure is that your PC is up to scratch to handle HD video - you need to establish exactly your CPU type & speed, HDD interface type (SATA or USB), graphics card type, RAM & speed, and motherboard type.
    Use CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) to check your system and report back.
    Regards
    Trevor
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Pinnacle - Roxio -Premier is Ulead the only program which will convert .TOD files?
    DaveH
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is frustrating I have the trial version of Ulead 11+ it still will not work
    DaveH
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I plan on trying to work with .tod files directly with Vegas premium in the very near future. I will post what I find. I recently bought an HD7 on ebay with no software included so I have a vested interest in making this work!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello,
    i am searching for help in a desperate way ..i have the jvc gz hd7 , and a macbook pro , with i movie 08, and as many of us who are writing here i also can not read my file on the mac . i don't lknow what to do , it opens me the files only with quick time payer but is their would be an image and not a video . and so i am really going crazy , cause i movie even doesnt want to open or recognize the files as video ..well i guess you understood my problem thank you already a lot !
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am happy to report my experiences:

Camera is detected as external drive over USB 2.0 connection automagically. I can browse to the .TOD files without any special drivers or software at all.

Secondly, the edit/view part:
    I can drag and drop the files directly into Sony Vegas Platinum 8,0d build 139 with no special handling, no conversion.

Works beautifully. I was worried that I'd need to have some kind of drivers, and my HD7 didn't come with software, as it was off of eBay. I'm loving Sony Vegas, i just wish some of the high end features that the "real" vegas has were in the lower bracket versions!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi Monique, Best advice for you is to obtain the excellent HD7/iMovie8 guide written by Steve Mullen - http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHD7/index.html
    Regards
    Trevor
    Quote Quote