VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I need some help in this matter.

I have a JVC Everio G video camera. The files it creates are called .mod files which are unreadable to the PC. But an easy program I got converts them to MPEG-2 format.
    But the files turn out rather large. 'My plan' is to somehow make them smaller, and as far as I can figure out (correct me if Im wrong), making them into DivX/XviD is the easiest and best solution.

But some programs like VirtualDub cant read the MPEG-2 files. So Im having trouble converting them. And this is where I need some help, not sure what I need to do. Or what program to use.

So please help, I followed some guides here. But none seem to suit my case. I may be wrong.
    But a little start help would be very nice, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

You can use AutoGK to make them smaller, using either the XviD or DivX codecs. Just open the MPEG, choose a final file size and let it go to work. You don't really need a guide, but there are several on this site, as well as an included tutorial:

http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdubmod and virtualdubmpeg-2 will open them, if you need access to virtualdub filters.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you both, experimenting with the programs now. so far they work great.

so thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could encode the mpeg-2 files to variable bitrate mpeg-2, that way you can still play them on a DVD player and achieve almost the same small file sizes as DivX.
    Quote Quote