VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. What I have are a bunch of .AVI file (About 350 MB each). I am using AVItoDVD to convert the files (this seems to take FOREVER, almost 2 hours for each file) which leaves me with a file approx 1.46 GB each. (I imagine I can either use the .iso file or the files in the DVD folder, the Audio and Video_TS files). I successfully burned 1 file by double clicking the .iso and Nero opened and it burned perfectly to DVD. I would just like to put 3 files on the DVD, not just the one

Is there a way I can put three of these files onto a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, just use a stand alone encoder program, though most all-in one-converters should handle this also. Add all three videos and encode. The program should set the bitrate needed to fill the disc.

What I do is use a bitrate calculator and a stand alone encoder like TMPGEnc. Put in the total running time of all the videos combined and see what bitrate shows up. You can use that bitrate for all the movies. If the bitrate comes out above about 3000kbps you should be OK with full D1 format. Below that, consider 1/2 D1 or VCD MPEG-1 format. Maximum quality is around 9500kbps, but the running time will then be about an hour. The bitrate calculator will tell you all that. Some bitrate calculators: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/bitrate-calculators

These formats are explained in 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page. The amount of bitrate needed for desired quality depends on the quality and type of the original video. Fast motion, lots of dark scenes requires more bitrate than stationary, well lit scenes. DV from a hand held camera requires more bitrate because of 'shake'. Best to encode a short representative clip of maybe 5 minutes and see what bitrate and format works best and looks good to you. With VCD format you can get 8 hours on one DVD, but the quality won't be very good. 1/2 D1 is a good compromise with about 3 - 4 hours video. But that varies with source quality.

BTW, the size of a AVI has no relationship with the size of the encoded MPEG, only the running time should be used to set bitrate for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    flameout - You should have posted this in the DVD Authoring forum as this is definitely the wrong forum for your question. You got a good response, but please be more careful in the future and post to the correct forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about the wrong forum. I just thought because they were VCD files that I should post here. I guess they aren't actually VCD files though. Just some .avi files

I ran into another problem. I thought I was doing this correctly, but I guess not. I used TMPGEnc Xpress, added the 3 files, then under Format, I selected 'DVD Standard MPEG file', which I was assuming would encode it to fit on a DVD. When the 'Encode/Bitrate settings' screen comes up next, it is showing that the file size will fit on a 4200 MB DVD. I click on Encode, and 2 hours later have a 4.08 GB MPG file. I drop it into Nero, and it's to large for a 4.2 GB DVD.

I know I'm missing something here, but I don't do this often enough to see what I'm doing wrong
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That might be a 'Nero' problem. But if you have just the MPEG files and you want to make a DVD, they still have to be 'authored' to the DVD format. That adds some to the file size. When the authoring is completed, you would have a VIDEO_TS folder with VOBs, IFOs and BUPs. For the DVD format and specifcations, see 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page.

You might take your MPEG files and use GUI for dvdauthor to author them. Then burn the VIDEO_TS folder to DVD disc with ImgBurn in 'Build' mode. Nero is being conservative or just bad with numbers. A DVD-5 disc holds about 4.37GB. I don't remember if you can adjust that in Nero, probably not. Next time, if you still use Nero, you might want to encode to about 3.80GB. Authoring shouldn't take up much more than 100MB, though, on the average.
    Quote Quote