VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I want to dub old footage from VHS tapes to my Panasonic NV-GS320 video camera (MiniDV). The camera is equipped with a "DV" plug which the local camera shop tells me is a four-pin firewire. They claim that what I want is impossible using a cable.

I was imagining that I could use a cable with RCA plugs on the VCR end and the firewire on the other. From there, get it onto the computer to edit & make a DVD.

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks,
    Mark.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it would work. The signal from the firewire is digital and your analog camera puts out analog. Incompatible. Do you have a DV/ analog input on your digital camcorder? The one on my JVC looks like a headphone jack plug. You could plug your analog into your digital this way, or, what I did recently was I purchased an Avermedia DVD EZmaker PCI capture card from Tiger Direct. It cost me 20 bucks and installs in a standard PCI slot in your computer. You plug your analog camera video into that and audio into your microhone plug or line in plug on your computer. The picture quality is on par or, I think, better than DV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some DV cameras have analogue input, and some will even pass-through an analogue signal, converting it to DV as it goes through to the PC. If yours does not have analogue inputs then you are out of luck.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only way you can do it is if your camcorder has analogue inputs (usually using the same connections as for analogue out), unfortunately, according to here http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS320-First-Impressions-Review/SpecsRatings.htm yours doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone - not the answer I wanted but at least I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What you are wanting to do IS possivle if your camera supports AV/DV passthru. I have a Canon ZR700 (which does) and have copied many VHS tapes and hi8 tapes this way. It uses the SAME cable as when outputting video to a TV with a composite connection. The bonus is that this setup also acts like a TBC to help correct any tracking errors on your source. It also almost always defeats Macrovision errors that pop up when capping commercial VHS tapes.

You will need to search thru the menus to see if you can do this. I did some searching of your particular model but could not find anything specific
    Quote Quote