VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to get my son a laptop. He won't need all the bells and whistles. His needs are pretty basic. Internet, Word Processing, watch a DVD, music.

Any suggestions please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    HP offers some good entry level laptops. Check their website for sales. I got mine discounted at Staples for about $600 several years ago and it's still going strong. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/home.do They have economy models from about $500US to $700US, but you might want one with more features.

There is also Dell and many others. Best is to try to find a review on-line for one you are interested in to try to get more information. Just type the model number into Google and add 'reviews' and you may find some. One alternative if you are really price conscious is to look for refurbished laptop. A lot of big businesses turn them in regularly for new models. Make sure it has a new battery as they do wear out, or figure on replacing it in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy used one on eBay for 100 bucks or so. Look for laptop for parts or repair. You will find about 600-700 listings everyday. Find one that is working but requires some minor repair.
    moved to another forum, nobody likes me here...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Entry level notebooks that are basic for internet, music, movies, word processing are so affordable nowadays. Just look at best buy or circuit city. They constantly have these notebooks with rebates that will cost you around $650 bottom line. I highly discourage the eBay recommendation of finding a used one that requires minor repair. Why in the world would you want to do that?

Here are some examples:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Notebook-Computers/sem/rpsm/catOid/-12963/N/20012961+20...ategorylist.do
    Quote Quote  
  5. Acer or Toshiba give you the most bang for the buck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siratfus
    I highly discourage the eBay recommendation of finding a used one that requires minor repair. Why in the world would you want to do that?
    That is obviously recommendation for people with a low budget...
    moved to another forum, nobody likes me here...
    Quote Quote  
  7. After looking at that circuitcity link I have to say this Toshiba is a great deal:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-15-4-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-A135-S452...oductDetail.do

Intel dual core CPU,1GB RAM,120GB HDD,DVD writer,Vista Home Premium.
    Quote Quote  
  8. is there CC in Canada ?

this is a nice deal from dell if you can get it

http://www.techbargains.com/tellafriend2.cfm/95737
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey didikai,
    I don't know what part of Canada you're from but there's a place near Toronto: www.alliedtek.com they sell lease returns and new old stock DELL desktops and laptops. I've bought 2 desktop machines there and they were priced right, shipped fast and so far very reliable. Last time I checked they had some laptops (1.6Ghz pentium M's with WiFi) for around $450.00CDN mind you that was a few months ago. Check 'em out if you're interested!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IBM's the best. They are built like brick sh-t houses. Not to be confused with the Lenovo. Lenovo bought the rights to mfg IBM designs. Incredible support. I swear by the IBM. Titanium hinges!!!!
    Quote Quote