VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and also a newbie to the video editing.
    Please help. I have videod a dance show at a theatre and have edited with powerdirector. The video file is too large to burn to standard dvd so I have split the file into first and second half. First half fits just right 4620mb but the second half is too big 5800mb. I have used a shrink to fit option in powerdirector but have lost quite a lot of quality by doing this. I can't cut any of the footage any more. On advise elsewere I've downloaded dvd shrink but this seems to be for dvd files only. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try?
    Many thanks,
    janice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    powerdirector has the option to make a custom template and adjust both the video and audio bitrates to anything you need. try re-encoding to a video bitrate that is maybe 20% lower and the quality really shouldn't be noticably lower.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if quality is the number one priority, then make into 3 equal sizes and then convert and author 3 discs

you haven't said how long the actual RUN time is

2 hrs 3 hrs 4 hrs ?

can put 2-3 hrs on ONE dvd, 4 hrs make it into 2 discs
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    powerdirector has the option to make a custom template and adjust both the video and audio bitrates to anything you need. try re-encoding to a video bitrate that is maybe 20% lower and the quality really shouldn't be noticably lower.
    Could you explain this in abit more detail of how to make a custom template ie where in the program i'll find this option.
    Many thanks again for your help.
    Janice
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard
    if quality is the number one priority, then make into 3 equal sizes and then convert and author 3 discs

you haven't said how long the actual RUN time is

2 hrs 3 hrs 4 hrs ?

can put 2-3 hrs on ONE dvd, 4 hrs make it into 2 discs
    Second Disc:
    Production Profile: DVD HQ Dolby Digital, PAL
    Bitrate: 8000K/256K
    Resolution: 720x576
    Used disk space: 1612800311mb
    Duration: 01:31.54
    Chapters: 4
    Menu Pages: 2

No 1 priority is quality but didn't want to use 3 dvd's as giving out to 100+ parents

Thanking you for your help
    janice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    import and edit your avi. when done click produce up top. select create a file. click on mpeg2. set the country/video format. click the drop down arrow next to profile type. select custom. select the dvd custom profile. click the little icon of paper(new profile) or paper and pencil(edit profile) under it to edit the profile to whatever bitrates you want. just be careful as the audio setting doesn't always "stick". the approximate size should be displayed on the left after you click apply and ok.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think your bitrate is TOO high unless you have an extremely good camera & lighting

change the settings to varible bitrate and mulipass encoding or reduce the bitrate to 6000

you should be able to get everything on 2 discs
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    import and edit your avi. when done click produce up top. select create a file. click on mpeg2. set the country/video format. click the drop down arrow next to profile type. select custom. select the dvd custom profile. click the little icon of paper(new profile) or paper and pencil(edit profile) under it to edit the profile to whatever bitrates you want. just be careful as the audio setting doesn't always "stick". the approximate size should be displayed on the left after you click apply and ok.
    Hi,
    Thanks, have done what you suggested and changed bitrate to 6000 with very little loss if any.
    Much better than shrink to fit copy.
    Thanks again for your help.
    janice
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard
    I think your bitrate is TOO high unless you have an extremely good camera & lighting

change the settings to varible bitrate and mulipass encoding or reduce the bitrate to 6000

you should be able to get everything on 2 discs
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    Yes have now changed the bitrate to 6000 without any loss of quality. Camera was given to me as a gift. Cannon XL1s. Still playing with it yet. Next time I shoot anything as important as this, I will definately come on this forum first for advise on getting the most out of the camera and the best possible setting to use.

Janice
    Quote Quote